Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder - Default Column Width in Column View

Question: Is there a way to set the default column width for each directory?

If not, is there a way to set a global column width?

Bonus Points: Is there a way to set directories always to open in Finder Column View to the width needed to show all letters of all file and folder names

Thank you.

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 5:35 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 2, 2022 5:33 PM in response to Sharhari

Thank you for the time and expertise you have been generously shared.

In the thread at the apple.stackexchange.com/questions link in your answer I found a question similar to the one starting this thread. Unfortunately, all the answers were silent on the nuance of default behavior of column widths in Finder. Please accept my apology for asking about the default column widths in Finder in ambiguous terms.

Since the thread linked in your answer adds no information toward controlling the defauld width of columns in Finder, I would recommend that you consider deleting the link, to prevent others from going down that road.

The question starting this thread does not call for a general study of Finder Column widths. The question focuses on default column widths in Finder, particularly the Column View.

Finder - Default Column Width in Column View

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.