Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS (12.1) Music App (1.2.1.40) issues (won't start with music-window or at Fullscreen)

Hej there,

my Music app (v. 1.2.1.40) on my MacBook M1 Pro 14" acts annoying. The music-window won't start on launching the app, and also setting it to fullscreen won't be saved. I also have to open the music-window manually by using the window-menu or press cmd+0, which is really annoying! It also takes long that my library and music is shown...

I figured out, that the app overwrites my changes when i restart the app, even if i the manually change and save the settings in the com.apple.music.plist. But the app overwrites only the fullscreen setting, changed settings like window-size and -position are saved correctly.

I even deleted the .plist for a new build and did a full clean reinstall of macOS monterey. Same problems after that. The music app is the only app or service with these problems.

Anyone else having these or nearly these annoying issues? Couldn't find sth. about it in the www.

Hardfacts: MacBook M1 Pro 14", macOS Monterey 12.1, Music 1.2.1.40

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 8:14 AM

I had the same issue for a while on my M1 MacBook Air (same OS Version and Music version). Apple chat support t=asked me to do a bunch of weird stuff like holding the option key while opening the app, trying it in Safe Mode and reinstalling macOS. When even the reinstall didn't work, I gave up and decided to just live with the bug and wait for an update.

A few days later, I found a bunch of uninstalled apps' preference files taking up space in ~/Library/Preferences. I was too lazy to figure out which ones were uninstalled and which ones I needed. I went crazy and nuked all my preference files. Don't ask, I don't know what I was thinking.

The computer shut off and made me go through the setup assistant again a little while after that. Luckily none of my data was deleted. Believe it or not, this fixed it. It reset all my settings for every app though. the next few hours were NOT fun.

Warning = Try this at your own risk. Your mileage may vary. Please don't kill me if you lose your data. I absolutely do NOT recommend this. Try it only as a last resort.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2022 8:14 AM in response to sajbot

I had the same issue for a while on my M1 MacBook Air (same OS Version and Music version). Apple chat support t=asked me to do a bunch of weird stuff like holding the option key while opening the app, trying it in Safe Mode and reinstalling macOS. When even the reinstall didn't work, I gave up and decided to just live with the bug and wait for an update.

A few days later, I found a bunch of uninstalled apps' preference files taking up space in ~/Library/Preferences. I was too lazy to figure out which ones were uninstalled and which ones I needed. I went crazy and nuked all my preference files. Don't ask, I don't know what I was thinking.

The computer shut off and made me go through the setup assistant again a little while after that. Luckily none of my data was deleted. Believe it or not, this fixed it. It reset all my settings for every app though. the next few hours were NOT fun.

Warning = Try this at your own risk. Your mileage may vary. Please don't kill me if you lose your data. I absolutely do NOT recommend this. Try it only as a last resort.

Jan 2, 2022 7:52 PM in response to sajbot

I think reporting the bug at apple.com/feedback or through the Feedback Assistant app and waiting for a fix is the best thing to do. Try my way only if you are very frustrated and nothing else works.

Let me know if you find the plist that's causing the issue. I found that deleting com.apple.music.plist fixed it for a while, but the bug would come back eventually. That's apparently not the cause though.

Good luck!

Jan 24, 2022 1:28 AM in response to sajbot

So, I did a bit more testing. This only happens if you quit the app while it's in fullscreen mode. if you take the app out of fullscreen and then quit it, it'll work fine. I've submitted dev feedback to Apple through the Feedback Assistant, with screenshots and steps to replicate it. Hopefully, a fix will roll out soon.

TL;DR there's something about fullscreen that messes with prefs.

Jan 24, 2022 1:50 AM in response to JayanthSahasranamamula

hej. in my case it's not just while the app is in fullscreen. even if i use (and quit) music in window- or mini-player-mode, the app won't start with any window on the next start.

BUT: i don't have any sync-issues like most users. apple music sync (like playlists etc.) works fine on my iphone, ipad and macbook. maybe i (or we) can be a bit happy, that we've only "window-issues" ;)

Feb 12, 2022 8:47 AM in response to 25street

Hopefully the solution you tried wasn't to nuke ALL the preference files. Did you find the single file to delete and fix the issue? I too have the issue where after a restart Music will not return to fullscreen view without me putting it back in fullscreen. It appears as though Music is launching but staying hidden after restart. I've also noticed that some times Mail, which is also set to be in fullscreen will sometimes POP out of fullscreen for some unknown reason. It however IS in fullscreen after restart.

Feb 13, 2022 3:48 PM in response to JayanthSahasranamamula

Unfortunately it didn't work for me. Removing that pref, keeping app running and doing a restart I get the app appearing not in widescreen along with a pop up window welcoming me to Apple Music with a button to "Start Streaming". I put it back in fullscreen, restarted again and its back to how it was., Went through the whole process twice and the same. Hoping for a fix in a future update.

macOS (12.1) Music App (1.2.1.40) issues (won't start with music-window or at Fullscreen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.