Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS 11.6.2 Big Sur - Apple Music cuts off mp3s too soon

Hi, I know this has been an issue for quite some time, I've googled all the other topics regarding this problem. Since I'm on 11.6.2 and the other users experiencing the same issue were on earlier Big Sur versions I opened this question.

The problem: Apple Music jumps to the end of songs, even if the song is not close to finish. I usually import mp3s via drag & drop. Now, I've tried it via cmd+o (import), I've tried to import every song individually - no success. The mp3s aren't damaged/corrupted, they work fine inside my car, my phone, VLC Player, Quicktime, Pro Tools - basically everywhere except Apple Music. The only solution I have at the moment is to stop using the Apple Music app which is unfortunate. I can't stretch how annoying this issue is and how important this bug fix is ... Anyway if somebody found a solution please share. And no, my hard drive is not the problem, let's not even go there. It's obviously some kind of bug.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 2:32 PM

it seems I found a workaround, the songs aren't skipping anymore, but its still pain in the a.. since I have to convert every mp3 file in order for A̶p̶p̶l̶e̶ Music to work.

in order to get the songs playing without being cut off I converted them to m4a files.

I didn't even try converting them via the Music app, since I read somewhere, that someone has already tried it and the new file would also skip at the same point.

Instead I used ffmpeg to convert the files. So, if you don't have it already installed, install it via brew (if you don't have homebrew installed - install it).

After installing ffmpeg you can write a little bash script to convert all the files within a (album) folder. This is the basic command:

ffmpeg  -i SongName.mp3 -c:a aac -vn -b:a 256k  SongName.m4a

you need the -vn flag if the mp3 has album cover art saved or ffmpeg will put out an error mssg because it thinks the mp3 is actually a video file. You will have to put the album cover art back once you have imported the m4a files into iTunes. Oh and I set the bitrate to 256k, even tho my mp3s were 320 - but I doubt there is any audible difference since mp3 is already low quality

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2022 2:32 PM in response to br101

it seems I found a workaround, the songs aren't skipping anymore, but its still pain in the a.. since I have to convert every mp3 file in order for A̶p̶p̶l̶e̶ Music to work.

in order to get the songs playing without being cut off I converted them to m4a files.

I didn't even try converting them via the Music app, since I read somewhere, that someone has already tried it and the new file would also skip at the same point.

Instead I used ffmpeg to convert the files. So, if you don't have it already installed, install it via brew (if you don't have homebrew installed - install it).

After installing ffmpeg you can write a little bash script to convert all the files within a (album) folder. This is the basic command:

ffmpeg  -i SongName.mp3 -c:a aac -vn -b:a 256k  SongName.m4a

you need the -vn flag if the mp3 has album cover art saved or ffmpeg will put out an error mssg because it thinks the mp3 is actually a video file. You will have to put the album cover art back once you have imported the m4a files into iTunes. Oh and I set the bitrate to 256k, even tho my mp3s were 320 - but I doubt there is any audible difference since mp3 is already low quality

Jan 3, 2022 8:24 AM in response to br101

Hey br101,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand you're experiencing playback issues with imported MP3's into Apple Music. We'd like to see how we can help.

Are you an Apple Music subscriber, or are you just using the Music app on your Mac to manage your music collection?

If you boot into safe mode, do you still experience the same playback issue? How to use safe mode on your Mac. Restart your Mac after testing in safe mode, and test once again in your normal user account. Same issue?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards.

Jan 3, 2022 1:00 PM in response to br101

br101,

The significance of knowing if you're an Apple Music subscriber or not, just lets us know if your imported files are being matched to an Apple Music version of the song or not. You mentioned it's not working in Apple Music so we just wanted to confirm. If you're not an Apple Music subscriber, the app is just referred to as Music on Mac.

As for safe mode, it only disables some audio devices, mostly Bluetooth related. But if that's not working at all for you, then we'll move forward.

If you feel its isolated to the Music app itself, you could reinstall the Music app by reinstalling macOS, since its a built-in application. Reinstalling may also help address a potential software issue if you feel it's that too: How to reinstall macOS. See if that helps out.

If you've already reinstalled macOS and the issue remains, contact Apple Support directly as your next step: Get Support

Regards.

Jan 3, 2022 1:28 PM in response to Sharon_419

Hi Sharon,

thanks for the info. I didn't know that the app is being referred to as "Music on Mac" when not being an AM subscriber. I'm not an AM subscriber, so I guess we can check off the matching problem as well.

Yeah when booting into safe mode I don't have any audio at all (I'm using an iMac and its internal audio device), so I can't test the Music issue.

I'm 1000% sure it is isolated to the Music app itself, but I'm not going to reinstall macOS. I just recently updated from macOS Mojave 10.14.6 to Big Sur 11.6.2 and everything was working fine on Mojave, granted it was iTunes back on Mojave.

I guess I'll see if the Apple Support has any further ideas.

Thanks!

macOS 11.6.2 Big Sur - Apple Music cuts off mp3s too soon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.