Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I unlock my phone if every company says they do not have it locked and they are not the carrier

How can I unlock my iPhone by carrier … carrier claims they not responsible?

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 11:26 AM

13 replies

Jan 2, 2022 4:18 PM in response to Disneyfaniphoneuser

Disneyfaniphoneuser Said:

"How can I unlock my phone if every company says they do not have it locked and they are not the carrier: I bought the phone in Best Buy and hooked it up with bring your own phone on straight talk … tracfone is carrier(TFW) I called tracfone and they said they are not the carrier … I’m so lost: I bought the phone 2019 so it’s been paid off"

-------

Take this to Best Buy. See what they can do for you, having purchased it from them.

Jan 2, 2022 4:43 PM in response to Disneyfaniphoneuser

The problem you encountered is that you purchased what you believed to be an unlocked phone from Best Buy. They do not sell unlocked phones, the ones they sell are a flex phone that locks to the first carrier you use to activate it. While StraightTalk may not understand that, they are not obligated to unlock your device. As a matter of fact a carrier is not obligated to unlock your device unless you meet their conditions. I'm guessing that this is going to be difficult since the phone locked to StraightTalk since you took advantage of their BYOD. The bring your own device is dependent on your bringing an unlocked phone, and the only unlocked phones sold are through Apple. You can use the Get Support link at the top of the page here to contact Apple Support and ask them who the phone is locked to so you can contact that carrier again, but like I said, you will probably still end up with problems, but that is what happens when you purchase a phone from Best Buy.

Jan 2, 2022 4:44 PM in response to Disneyfaniphoneuser

Disneyfaniphoneuser wrote:

straighttalk claims because it’s bring your own phone Straighttalk won’t unlock it it’s not their phone to unlock

If you activated it on straight talk and they now say they will not or can not unlock it, then it can not be unlocked.

Straight Talk is strict about their unlocking policy.

If your phone is not currently active on StraightTalk, you will have to sign up for service and maintain that service for at least 12 months. If you did so, and then cancelled the service, they WILL NOT unlock it. It MUST be active on their network and have been in good standing for at least 12 months for them to process the unlock request.

Jan 3, 2022 4:38 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks for all your time and input. My lesson is learned not to buy a phone from Best Buy again. I’m truly not ready to get rid of the phone yet … trade in value is only $200 so looks like straight talk gets more money for at least another year. The service is good in my area I don’t have any negative comments about them I was only switching cause my bf got a extra line on his plan. Now I know a problem like this exists.

How can I unlock my phone if every company says they do not have it locked and they are not the carrier

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.