Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New install Big Sur show two Volumes named ...Data & Update

Hi and Happy New year to all!. Installed Big Sur on a new formatted external 500GB SSD and initially all was fine, that is until I restarted from the new Big Sur external SSD to my iMac's internal HD (2007 27" iMac running OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra. Once restarted in High Sierra, I noticed two volume images from my external SSD with Big Sur, one named ..Data the other Update. I cannot use them as startup drives because they are not recognized in System Preferences > Startup Disk.

I formatted the new external SSD and installed Big Sur without issues. I decided to give Big Sur a test drive before committing it to my iMac's internal drive to determine compatibility with several Pro Video & Photo Editors.

Hopefully there's a simple fix for this.

Thanks for suggestions for a solution

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 1:38 PM

First, here are the requirements for Big Sur:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211238

A 2007 iMac is simply not compatible and cannot boot or run BS.

Second, yes , BS devides the drive into two volumes; the OS will be on a read only volume called Macintosh HD and the Data volume will contain your user and other files you will actually have read/write access to. If you can get it to work, it'll be a miracle.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2022 1:38 PM in response to Pete Dubaj

First, here are the requirements for Big Sur:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211238

A 2007 iMac is simply not compatible and cannot boot or run BS.

Second, yes , BS devides the drive into two volumes; the OS will be on a read only volume called Macintosh HD and the Data volume will contain your user and other files you will actually have read/write access to. If you can get it to work, it'll be a miracle.

New install Big Sur show two Volumes named ...Data & Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.