Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homekit garage door away from home wifi

I have HomePod mini as hub running Homekit for all smart things. I have just installed Meross Smart Wifi Garage Door unit (msg200hk). I installed Meross app to update firmware, then set up on HomeKit app.

The unit works wonderfully via the Home app while I'm on my local wifi network. When I leave home network and iPhone switches to LTE or 5G the Garage Door tiles in Home app show not responding. However, if I view the garage doors on the Meross app from same location I have control access. My iPhone is password protected and opens with face recognition.

Is there anyway to allow Home app to recognize the garage doors from remote?

I'd like to know they are shut when I'm away.

I'm able to access other devices while off my home wifi network such as Ecobee thermostat

Thanks

HomePod mini

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 11:51 PM

Okay…. I finally get it working. For HomeKit app working properly you’ll have to setup Home Hub, only HomePod, HomePod mini Apple TV or iPad can be used. iPhone cannot be set as a HomePod. It should stay at your home all the time and be connected to wifi. It’s Apple…..

check this link for more info https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251020022

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2022 11:51 PM in response to TomTheo01

Okay…. I finally get it working. For HomeKit app working properly you’ll have to setup Home Hub, only HomePod, HomePod mini Apple TV or iPad can be used. iPhone cannot be set as a HomePod. It should stay at your home all the time and be connected to wifi. It’s Apple…..

check this link for more info https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251020022

Jan 6, 2022 7:53 AM in response to Alex Pliha

Thanks Alex Pliha. I originally set the Meross device up on my Homekit that was running from hub (HomePod mini). I used my iPhone in Garage to do the setup near the device for configuration and access to my Home App. As mentioned it worked well when I was connected to my home WiFi network, but not when I was away from home.

This changed after 24 to 36 hours - I have no idea when or why. I am now able to see both of my garage doors status while I am away from home (both on data (LGE or 5g), or external WiFi networks.

All seems to be working now, but I cannot comment on what triggered success outside of my home network

Homekit garage door away from home wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.