Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrade to Monterey...

After upgrading to Monterey, I've noticed a few bugs and issues on my 2018 MacBook Pro Retina, i9 32GB 512 SSD.

The most annoying one is that the three finger tap no longer brings up the dictionary definitions when putting the cursor over a word and three finger tapping. However it does work sometimes; and averages about one out of ten tries, but then goes back to not working at all.

The second thing that is really weird is that when I highlight a file in the Finder and hit the spacebar to get a "Quick View" of the file, as it is expanding onto the screen there is a flash of a red rectangle which goes away as the file loads on the screen. This is definitely a Monterey bug as I've never seen this happen under Mojave or Catalina. Hopefully fixes will be addressed soon.

Anyone else have these bugs? Are there any known fixes?

Thanks in advance for any help, ideas, or suggestions...

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 2:16 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 3, 2022 10:58 AM in response to nowhereman473

Hi nowhereman473,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in Apple Support Communities. We understand you're running into a couple of problems with your MacBook Pro, and we're here to help out. To clarify, do these problems persist when the MacBook Pro is started in safe mode? This will help us better isolate the problem, as we're unable to duplicate it here on our end.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Please let us know what you find, we look forward to learning the results.

Best regards.

Jan 4, 2022 3:18 AM in response to nowhereman473

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Jan 3, 2022 3:46 PM in response to Amanda239_91

Ok, I booted into safe mode...I guess? There is no announcement, dialog box, etc., telling me I am in safe mode -- so I may not be in safe mode. Since my 2018 MB Pro is an i9 Intel I held down the start button, at the first instant of the Apple I held down the [Shift] key until I got the login page. After logging in, still nothing showing I'm in Safe Mode. But, now the laptop is jerky-jerky, touchpad switched to a very large black arrow with white border. Now hovering the cursor over a file on the desktop and hitting the space bar for a 'Quick View' there is a delay then the file jerks open, (going through a blurry glimpse of the file), then the file is open and the machine is totally locked up. Nothing works. I have to hold down the power button to get out... Then it will boot normally afterwards. So much for 'Safe Mode' I guess.

Any other ideas?

Thanks...

After upgrade to Monterey...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.