Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The 16" MacBook Pro I bought is "managed and supervised"?

Hi guys,

Recently I bought myself a preowned 16" MacBook Pro (i7), I’ve tested it thoroughly. I checked all the functions and everything works perfectly, but when I got home to set it up, I noticed that, as I connected to the internet, it loaded up a "remote control" window under the name of “Atomic Talent Canada Inc”. As it booted it, I noticed that everything is as usual, except that the Profiles icon appeared in the System Preferences.

Inside of it there are these "Profiles" I can't remove and a note saying "This Mac is supervised and managed by Atomic Talent Canada Inc". None of this was specified by the seller!

I seem to be able to use it fine without any limitations apart from I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be using this, it feels super sketchy.

Does anybody know any way I can remove Atomic Talent Canada Inc from supervising this Mac or not? Is there a terminal command or something to get rid of irremovable Profiles?

Thanks

I'll attach images of what I've explained so it's more clear:

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 6:52 PM

It's either stolen, or it wasn't properly removed from the MDM. Return it. The company managing the device can push out, or add or remove software, and could certainly wipe your entire device at any time.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 2, 2022 6:36 PM in response to number11plus

My MBP is managed and supervised by me. It will be that way until a new manager/supervisor repays my original investment.

Unless the manager/supervisor took out firmware-level locks, completely restore the MacOS using "internet restore" ... downloads the MacOS from the internet ... to what the Mac thinks it should be, then it will be yours completely: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

If you cannot, then there are firmware-level locks you cannot remove yourself and you need to get your money back.

Jan 2, 2022 9:29 PM in response to number11plus

Hi number11plus,

Unfortunately, the Mac you bought is registered in Apple Business Manager as belonging to Atomic Talent Canada Inc.

When a Mac runs the Setup Assistant, it contacts Apple servers to check if its serial number is registered with a business:

• If the serial number isn't registered, setup continues as normal.

• If the serial number is registered in Apple Business Manager, Apple instructs the Mac to join the mobile device management (MDM) server specified by the business that registered the Mac. At this point, the Mac displays the Remote Management screen, and the Mac becomes managed by the business's MDM server.

To resolve this issue, please contact the company in question and ask if the Mac was lost or stolen. If it was legitimately sold or given away by them, ask them to remove the Mac from Apple Business Manager. Then, erase the Mac and ensure that it doesn't prompt for Remote Management.

The 16" MacBook Pro I bought is "managed and supervised"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.