Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini as hotspot

Want to use Mac Mini M1 as hotspot (ethernet to WiFi) but the option "wifi" does not show, only ethernet adapters en4,5 and Iphone USB.

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 8:25 PM

9 replies

Jan 3, 2022 7:51 AM in response to hummaussie

In addition to the helpful setup information shared by woodmeister50 and bobcollard.

Be aware that the Mac Mini may not be the best choice for a Hot Spot. Because of it's antenna location (on the bottom cover), plus known interference issues caused by (high speed USB) devices and cables.

see > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

I'm not sure what Modem and Wi-Fi Router you currently have? But I think that you would be better off getting a stronger Wi-Fi Router or getting and using a Wi-Fi Range Extender instead of trying to use the Mac Mini as a Hot Spot.

Jan 3, 2022 4:57 PM in response to den.thed

Coming from the Ethernet connection by a long cable from the NBN modem on the other extreme of the house (wifi does not arrive here). I got a Macbook Air beside the Mini assembly and that is what I need to feed via WiFi.

I am aware of the "problems" facing the M1, been fighting them for a year now, the two monitors on diff places (one on the mini, the other on the OWC thunderbolt hub, the receiver of the logitech MX mouse at the end of a 1m usb3 cable, the wifi in sucks and so on but the price, the speed, the low temp operation and so on, overcome the faults.

At least I have to try, otherwise I have to operate the Air with the phone.

mac mini as hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.