Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage and Facetime are not working with my phone number

Hi, I used to have an iPhone 6, everything was good with it, I could send and receive messages, even make facetime calls normally, not a problem at all.

a week ago I was given an iPhone XS Max, I did not notice all the messages I was sending were from my email until my friends told me, I tried to select my phone number and it never “loads” it says “iMessage waiting for activation”.

Last time a little message popped up saying “An error occurred during activation“.

I’ve tried everything, I’ve toggled off iMessage and FaceTime, airplane mode, I’ve restarted my phone, I even reseted it. I tried using iMessage on my iPhone 6 again and it does not work anymore with my phone number either, I just want to know how to fix this.

My phone is updated, I have iOS 15.2; wifi is working perfectly fine.

When I switched to the new phone they did not work anymore :/

iPhone XS Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 11:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 2:03 AM

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with using iMessage on your new iPhone.

Could you first confirm if you are using the same SIM card in your new iPhone or a new SIM card?

Are you using the same phone number you had originally on your old iPhone?

If you are using the same phone number on your new iPhone and you have a new SIM card, confirm you have disabled iMessage on your old iPhone and removed it from your Apple ID account.

Old iPhone

Settings > Messages > Turn off iMessage & Settings > Messages > Turn off iMessage.

New iPhone

Settings > Name > Devices at the bottom > click on the old iPhone > Remove from account.

After its removed, go to Settings > Messages > disable iMessage and wait a few moments, then enable it again.

Click Send & Receive and make sure your phone number and Apple ID are checked in the first box. ‘Start New Conversations From’ should have only your phone number checked, but your Apple ID listed.

Afterwards, confirm the same appears under Settings > FaceTime.

Caller ID should have only your phone number checked, and your Apple ID listed.

Now, go to Settings > Phone > My Number should have your phone number listed. If it is blank, add your number.

Settings > Name > Name, Phone Numbers, & Email > Reachable at should have both your Apple ID email and phone number listed.

This should resolve your issue.

If it doesn’t, after completing the above steps reset your network settings.

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Hope this helps!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2022 2:03 AM in response to marvintobar_

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with using iMessage on your new iPhone.

Could you first confirm if you are using the same SIM card in your new iPhone or a new SIM card?

Are you using the same phone number you had originally on your old iPhone?

If you are using the same phone number on your new iPhone and you have a new SIM card, confirm you have disabled iMessage on your old iPhone and removed it from your Apple ID account.

Old iPhone

Settings > Messages > Turn off iMessage & Settings > Messages > Turn off iMessage.

New iPhone

Settings > Name > Devices at the bottom > click on the old iPhone > Remove from account.

After its removed, go to Settings > Messages > disable iMessage and wait a few moments, then enable it again.

Click Send & Receive and make sure your phone number and Apple ID are checked in the first box. ‘Start New Conversations From’ should have only your phone number checked, but your Apple ID listed.

Afterwards, confirm the same appears under Settings > FaceTime.

Caller ID should have only your phone number checked, and your Apple ID listed.

Now, go to Settings > Phone > My Number should have your phone number listed. If it is blank, add your number.

Settings > Name > Name, Phone Numbers, & Email > Reachable at should have both your Apple ID email and phone number listed.

This should resolve your issue.

If it doesn’t, after completing the above steps reset your network settings.

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Hope this helps!

iMessage and Facetime are not working with my phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.