Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will restoring split fusion drives wipe my entire mac or just the drive in question

I got a 2013 iMac from a friend of mine. He split the fusion drive for some reason and I would like to restore the drive as I read it could help with performance. When I follow Apple's tutorial on how to do so it says it'll only wipe the drive in question. However when I run the diskutil resetFusion command it says it'll wipe all the drives above so I'm not really sure which one it is now.

Is it safe to run the command? The split fusion drive is empty

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 1:31 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

It will erase the data on both drives. Make sure you have a Time Machine backup first. If you do not, here’s an excellent drive sold by Apple: G-Technology 4TB G-DRIVE mobile USB-C Portable Hard Drive - Apple. You can then follow the steps in this Apple Support article to setup your Time Machine backup: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

Also, moving forward, I recommend that you use iCloud in addition to Time Machine to sync all your files and photos to all your Apple devices. Although iCloud is not a "true" backup service, iCloud can also act as an emergency off-site backup, but this is why iCloud should be used in addition to Time Machine. Here are some resources on setting up iCloud for Mac:

Jack

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2022 1:31 AM in response to DanieldeJong_NL

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

It will erase the data on both drives. Make sure you have a Time Machine backup first. If you do not, here’s an excellent drive sold by Apple: G-Technology 4TB G-DRIVE mobile USB-C Portable Hard Drive - Apple. You can then follow the steps in this Apple Support article to setup your Time Machine backup: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

Also, moving forward, I recommend that you use iCloud in addition to Time Machine to sync all your files and photos to all your Apple devices. Although iCloud is not a "true" backup service, iCloud can also act as an emergency off-site backup, but this is why iCloud should be used in addition to Time Machine. Here are some resources on setting up iCloud for Mac:

Jack

Will restoring split fusion drives wipe my entire mac or just the drive in question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.