Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cellular on Ipad

I have a dual sim iPhone 13 with two phone numbers. Can I use the second cellular line for cellular on my iPad and still have the phone number on my iPhone.

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 9:03 AM

I’m not sure what you’re attempting to achieve. If you have a dual-SIM iPhone, with both the physical and eSIM populated, both Cellular numbers are associated with the iPhone.

Moving the physical SIM from the iPhone to your iPad will not necessarily work - as very few phone SIMs are “provisioned” by the Cellular Operator to be usable with iPad. An iPad requires a DataSIM, not a mobile phone SIM, the difference being how the SIM is provisioned (i.e., “set-up”) by the Cellular provider.

An iPad, whether a Cellular model or not, is not capable of directly accessing Cellular Voice or SMS/MMS Messaging features. An iPad with either WiFi or Cellular connectivity alone can only access IP-data services. If you have added a DataSIM and Cellular plan to a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad, the number associated with the SIM card is only used to identify your account for billing purposes. This number is not used for making calls or sending messages.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2022 9:03 AM in response to 111MikeAnto

I’m not sure what you’re attempting to achieve. If you have a dual-SIM iPhone, with both the physical and eSIM populated, both Cellular numbers are associated with the iPhone.

Moving the physical SIM from the iPhone to your iPad will not necessarily work - as very few phone SIMs are “provisioned” by the Cellular Operator to be usable with iPad. An iPad requires a DataSIM, not a mobile phone SIM, the difference being how the SIM is provisioned (i.e., “set-up”) by the Cellular provider.

An iPad, whether a Cellular model or not, is not capable of directly accessing Cellular Voice or SMS/MMS Messaging features. An iPad with either WiFi or Cellular connectivity alone can only access IP-data services. If you have added a DataSIM and Cellular plan to a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad, the number associated with the SIM card is only used to identify your account for billing purposes. This number is not used for making calls or sending messages.

cellular on Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.