Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple's false advertising that applying for an Apple card not affecting their credit score?

I just applied for the Apple Card as based on its promises, it would not affect my very high credit score. So today I received a notice from American Express that my credit score DECREASED 5 points due to applying and ACCEPTING the Apple card. I called Apple and they said those details are in the agreement. Who reads the agreement anyway after they are promoting and pushing that it doesn't affect your credit score and fails to mention that if you accept THEN you credit score will be affected. Clean up your act Apple. I hold a lot of your stock and this is not acceptable. If the score will be affected upon acceptance, say so in your advertising, not buried deep inside a never to be read agreement. Anyone else have this problem? Can't go back now but very very disappointed in what I consider to be misleading advertising.

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 9:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 9:14 AM

Obviously you work for Apple as you just cut and pasted what is on their site. Since I have had all my credit cards for over 30 years, obviously ANY hard inquiry DOES impact your credit score. I had no idea and IMO this is not clear. IT ACTUALLY IMPACTS IT, not a maybe. Unfortunate for me.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 3, 2022 9:14 AM in response to muguy

Obviously you work for Apple as you just cut and pasted what is on their site. Since I have had all my credit cards for over 30 years, obviously ANY hard inquiry DOES impact your credit score. I had no idea and IMO this is not clear. IT ACTUALLY IMPACTS IT, not a maybe. Unfortunate for me.

Jan 10, 2022 8:59 AM in response to JoeAugusto

JoeAugusto wrote:

I too feel I was misled by their initial advertisement that by applying it would not affect my credit score. Unfortunately their policy on this is buried on page 14 of a 19 page document.
In my case it’s really not a big deal but I still feel it’s very misleading advertising.

Again, Apple states the soft inquiry does not affect the credit score. If you do not accept the card once approved or you are not approved your credit score should not be affected. This is stated plainly in their main How to Apply for Apple Card support document. It's not buried anywhere.

If you do accept it, then yes it will affect it. But that's perfectly normal, any credit you accept after being approved will affect your credit score. Nowhere does apple even so much as imply that accepting the card will not affect your credit score.

Bolding and underline is mine for effect.

Link->How to apply for Apple Card - Apple Support

About your credit score

You can apply for Apple Card without impacting your credit score. If your application is approved and you accept your Apple Card offer, a hard inquiry is made. This may impact your credit score.

If you apply for Apple Card and your application is approved, there's no impact to your credit score until you accept your offer. If you accept your offer, a hard inquiry is made. This may impact your credit score. If your application is declined or you reject your offer, your credit score isn't impacted by the soft inquiry associated with your application.

Jan 3, 2022 9:10 AM in response to skylarbh

As per the site:

If you apply for Apple Card and your application is approved, there's no impact to your credit score until you accept your offer. If you accept your offer, a hard inquiry is made. This may impact your credit score. If your application is declined or you reject your offer, your credit score isn't impacted by the soft inquiry associated with your application.

Jan 3, 2022 9:17 AM in response to skylarbh

Well, no. We're all just users on the forum. But yes, I cut and pasted what is on the site as it is there for anyone to read. For what it's worth, it's only 5 points. Those scores, especially the inferred ones that approximate the score, bounce up and down 5-10 points every month like a 5-year-old in a bouncy castle on a sugar high.

Jan 3, 2022 9:28 AM in response to skylarbh

This is standard practice in the credit card industry. Not only Goldman Sachs (issuer and servicer of Apple Card) does it, so does many institution that offer to pre-qualify the applicant. This pre-qualifying includes American Express, Capital One, J.P. Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo and Navy Federal Credit Union, to name just a few. This is a well established practice in the credit industry and has been done for decades.

In regard to reading what you sign, I read anything and everything I sign when it comes to my money and credit health. Here is a copy of the Apple Card Credit Agreement,

https://www.goldmansachs.com/terms-and-conditions/Apple-Card-Customer-Agreement.pdf

Jan 10, 2022 11:05 AM in response to JoeAugusto

But it's not just in page 14 of a 19 page document. Its mentioned in multiple places.

Its promintently explained in their support document for how two apply as I showed above and in a footnote in the very page you posted a screen shot off.

If you click on the small #2 next to the text "...approved with no impact to your credit score" it takes you down to that footnote and further explains accepting the card may affect it.

Again, only the soft inquiry will not affect it. And that's the only thing they are referring to there.

Apple's false advertising that applying for an Apple card not affecting their credit score?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.