Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xcode will not stop installing!

I wanted to install Xcode a week ago on my MacBook Air M1 but it got stuck on "installing" for days. I noticed my SSD Storage was going down all the time so i decided to uninstall Xcode. After doing so I'm now left with a blank icon installing 12.58GB/12.58GB.

It has been doing so for days and I haven't found a way to stop it. I have restarted the computer etc,

The "System Data" category is increasing in size all the time. If I'm not mistaken I had about 190GB of free space before attempting to install Xcode.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 12:08 PM

Hi there, AnderssonC,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We see you've stopped by today because an Xcode installation was begun, but did not seem to complete, and now you cannot get rid of it. We are happy to help!

It looks like you have already restarted your Mac, which was a great first step. Next, we would recommend restarting the computer into safe mode, and seeing if Xcode still appears: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support. If it does, try removing it while in safe mode.

Don't hesitate to respond back if you still need help.

Cheers!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2022 12:08 PM in response to AnderssonC

Hi there, AnderssonC,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We see you've stopped by today because an Xcode installation was begun, but did not seem to complete, and now you cannot get rid of it. We are happy to help!

It looks like you have already restarted your Mac, which was a great first step. Next, we would recommend restarting the computer into safe mode, and seeing if Xcode still appears: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support. If it does, try removing it while in safe mode.

Don't hesitate to respond back if you still need help.

Cheers!

Jan 6, 2022 8:44 AM in response to AnderssonC

Thanks for getting back in touch, AnderssonC,

It's great to hear that the issue with Xcode was resolved. As far as your system storage and the categories, check out See used and available storage space on your Mac - Apple Support for more information.

If you still need help after that, please get in touch with Apple Support directly: Get Support.

Have a great weekend!

Jan 6, 2022 8:30 AM in response to Lindsay_B.

Hi, thank you for the suggestion. I was able to delete it in safe mode.

But I don't know what to do about the storage space that's been taken. "System data" is now taking up about 70GB and I don't think that's normal, It could not have been much before installing Xcode. Do you know how to locate where all this data is?

I'm certain I had at least 50GB more free space before attempting to install Xcode.

Xcode will not stop installing!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.