Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xcode installation problem

I have 20 Gb of space in my MacBook air still I am not able to install Xcode that's of 11.3 Gb.

How to resolve this ??

please help !!!

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 9:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2020 12:49 PM

As a development platform a 121 GB MBA doesn't offer much space to begin with, but I assume you knew that already.

You need to methodically review each of those categories and delete files that are not essential to using Xcode. The obvious large categories to examine are Documents and "Other". For a description of "Other" and what you can do about it, please determine if the following User Tip has any suggestions for you: What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Please bear in mind that I do not use any of the products mentioned in that User Tip, so I am unable to vouch for their effectiveness or determine their suitability for your purposes. Its principles are correct though, in that it's up to you to identify and delete what you can delete while maintaining the bare essential needs for that MBA... which is certain to be a challenge if you need to use Xcode for development purposes.

Another possibility that may be an option for you is to replace that MBA's internal storage module, assuming it is removable and that replacements are available. Doing that is not an approved hardware modification though—meaning you will invalidate whatever AppleCare warranty may still apply to that MBA and that you are willing to forfeit any authorized Apple service for it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2020 12:49 PM in response to Nishvi

As a development platform a 121 GB MBA doesn't offer much space to begin with, but I assume you knew that already.

You need to methodically review each of those categories and delete files that are not essential to using Xcode. The obvious large categories to examine are Documents and "Other". For a description of "Other" and what you can do about it, please determine if the following User Tip has any suggestions for you: What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Please bear in mind that I do not use any of the products mentioned in that User Tip, so I am unable to vouch for their effectiveness or determine their suitability for your purposes. Its principles are correct though, in that it's up to you to identify and delete what you can delete while maintaining the bare essential needs for that MBA... which is certain to be a challenge if you need to use Xcode for development purposes.

Another possibility that may be an option for you is to replace that MBA's internal storage module, assuming it is removable and that replacements are available. Doing that is not an approved hardware modification though—meaning you will invalidate whatever AppleCare warranty may still apply to that MBA and that you are willing to forfeit any authorized Apple service for it.

Nov 8, 2020 7:44 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you for replying,

But I have macbook air (121 GB)

I am adding the screenshots, Firstly it has only 84 Gb of space and in which system is using 11 Gb and I don't know what is this other component but it is using 40 Gb and I really need Xcode.

I have deleted almost everything and still just getting 20 Gb.

And in my documents section it is showing 14 gb in the image, while when I open it. it is just approx. 4 gb

help if you can please.

Xcode installation problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.