Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have 40 GB free space on my mac air but I cant download xcode due to lack of space

I want to download Xcode but I apparently don't have enough space. My Mac air shows 40GB free

How much space do I need?

Thanks

Peter

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 10:48 AM

Roughly three times the size of the Xcode download file. Understand, too, that macOS requires a certain amount of free space remaining on the disk. At least 15-20GBs or 10% of the disk's capacity whichever is greater. Check your actual free space:

Get Correct Storage Information

Do not use the information from the Storage section of the About This Mac dialog. Ignore the Storage information as it is typically wrong. To find out the correct information for any disk: Select a Desktop disk icon. Press Command-I to open the Get Info window and look at the topmost panel displayed. You will find the disk information displayed for Capacity, Available, and Used. If you have more than one disk/partition then repeat for each one on your Desktop.

The categories found in the Storage section of About This Mac is simply an arbitrary way of displaying files on your drive. There are no such categories actually on the drive.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2019 10:48 AM in response to pidder

Roughly three times the size of the Xcode download file. Understand, too, that macOS requires a certain amount of free space remaining on the disk. At least 15-20GBs or 10% of the disk's capacity whichever is greater. Check your actual free space:

Get Correct Storage Information

Do not use the information from the Storage section of the About This Mac dialog. Ignore the Storage information as it is typically wrong. To find out the correct information for any disk: Select a Desktop disk icon. Press Command-I to open the Get Info window and look at the topmost panel displayed. You will find the disk information displayed for Capacity, Available, and Used. If you have more than one disk/partition then repeat for each one on your Desktop.

The categories found in the Storage section of About This Mac is simply an arbitrary way of displaying files on your drive. There are no such categories actually on the drive.

I have 40 GB free space on my mac air but I cant download xcode due to lack of space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.