Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 or 2021 model

Hi,

Can someone please help in clarifying the below?

1) In MacBook Pro 13" 2020 or 2021 model, can I increase/upgrade existing RAM/SSD later on after an year of purchase?

2) Should I upgrade to only Apple product's RAM/SSD or can I upgrade to any other brands as well?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 4:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 7:17 PM

Since about 2016 models, Apple has mostly soldered the SSD modules down as well. There are a few that were in a socket, but they use a proprietary interface that no one has developed drives for.

So the answer is also NO.

Buy as much storage and RAM as you think you will need.

you can't upgrade the Internal drive, but you can add an external drive:

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2022 7:17 PM in response to sakthi-g

Since about 2016 models, Apple has mostly soldered the SSD modules down as well. There are a few that were in a socket, but they use a proprietary interface that no one has developed drives for.

So the answer is also NO.

Buy as much storage and RAM as you think you will need.

you can't upgrade the Internal drive, but you can add an external drive:

Jan 3, 2022 5:30 PM in response to sakthi-g

The last MacBook Pro with user-upgradable RAM was sold in 2012.

Since then, MacBook Pro models have the RAM soldered directly to the mainboard for maximum reliability. There are no RAM upgrades possible using any modules of any description.

In M1 Macs, the Unified RAM is soldered to the processor sub-module, which is then soldered to the mainboard. This makes it even less likely that any scheme can be devised for upgrading RAM once the MacBook Pro comes off the assembly line.

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 or 2021 model

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.