Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Data memory demand

MacbookPro 2021 Monterey - I just bought this and after the 2nd Time Machine backup System Data has expanded hugely - as the screen capture shows today. How can I manage this?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 2:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 3:58 AM

Have you tried this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206996

and read this too:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/delete-system-on-mac-3802782/

3 replies

Jan 17, 2022 8:31 AM in response to Sonicray

Hi there

further to my last on Jan 10 I've been working through all the suggestions and after a long search I found a large file (319.34 Gb) in Macintosh HD /Library/Info that was set up 17 May when I bought my previous Macbook. Looking into it I found a folder of about half that size relating to Mobile Data backups. I deleted it - with no apparent problems so far - and now the overall storage is much better. I think I haven't finished yet and must do some more work, but just want to thank you very much for takingb the time and providing the information that has helped so much! Best wishes.

Jan 10, 2022 8:16 AM in response to Sonicray

Thanks Sonicray! I worked through both links that you suggest. The first one works through fine but has made no apparent difference to the amount of System Data. I switched off the Time Machine as detailed, but this makes no obvious difference. I didn't try the other suggestion as you mention it's better tried with older OS.

This laptop is on Monterey 12.1 and currently shows 23.66Gb is available out of 512Gb storage. Of this 308.69 is allocated to System Data. The remaining 185.69 is made up (in order of size) by icloud storage, Apps, Docs, Music and Macos.

I think there is some (hidden) management of this, as the total amount doesn't seem to move above 495Gb of storage. Whenever I remove something from my own material - eg documents - there is no noticeable c hanged in space available, as the System Data seems to refill in proportion to whatever I remove. I wonder if anyone has a handle on how Monterey os working? Many thanks for your help - much appreciated!

System Data memory demand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.