Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2015 laptop battery service error

My 2015 Retina had a battery service error message. Contacted apple support. Laptop was on my account, agent said I could pay for battery replacement. Agreed and they sent out prepaid return box. Shipped it our. Receive email saying that cannot replace battery at Apple serve center (This was a device purchased from them and tracked through their system entirely. Now told to walk it into Apple store for repair. When asked if they don't have the battery was told they will get one from apple?? Meaning the apple service center? Is this a common apple response to older equipment?

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 6:05 PM

Yes, "VIN" means "Vintage" and that does explain whey the mail-in repair depot was unable to do anything with the laptop. An Apple Authorized Service Provider that performs repairs within their own shop may still be able to order the Battery from Apple to perform the repair for you.

If you have no local AASPs which perform their own repairs, or if the AASP is no longer able to get the Battery from Apple, then you can try using a third party Battery from OWC. Check with the AASP to see whether they could install the OWC battery for you since it is a difficult & risky procedure. Many AASPs will likely refuse, but some may be willing to do the procedure. The quality of third party Lithium-ion Batteries is extremely poor even when purchased from a reputable vendor such as OWC, but OWC is your best option for receiving a good third party battery.

https://eshop.macsales.com/

The Apple support agent could easily have overlooked the "VIN" part and only saw the "2015" part and assumed it was still fully support (I know I would have assumed it since this is the only 2015 model Mac that is "Vintage" at the moment AFAIK).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2022 6:05 PM in response to darbdek

Yes, "VIN" means "Vintage" and that does explain whey the mail-in repair depot was unable to do anything with the laptop. An Apple Authorized Service Provider that performs repairs within their own shop may still be able to order the Battery from Apple to perform the repair for you.

If you have no local AASPs which perform their own repairs, or if the AASP is no longer able to get the Battery from Apple, then you can try using a third party Battery from OWC. Check with the AASP to see whether they could install the OWC battery for you since it is a difficult & risky procedure. Many AASPs will likely refuse, but some may be willing to do the procedure. The quality of third party Lithium-ion Batteries is extremely poor even when purchased from a reputable vendor such as OWC, but OWC is your best option for receiving a good third party battery.

https://eshop.macsales.com/

The Apple support agent could easily have overlooked the "VIN" part and only saw the "2015" part and assumed it was still fully support (I know I would have assumed it since this is the only 2015 model Mac that is "Vintage" at the moment AFAIK).

Jan 4, 2022 7:49 PM in response to darbdek

If you indeed have a 2015 model, then this makes absolutely no sense. However, if you have a 2014 model, then the 2014 model is considered "Vintage" where hardware repairs cannot be performed by the Apple mail-in repair depot. Repairs for "Vintage" products can only be performed by AASP's within their own shops assuming the necessary parts are still available from Apple.

You can confirm the exact model of your laptop by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac".

Jan 5, 2022 8:08 AM in response to HWTech

Makes no sense to me either. This was the explanation from the Apple Supervisor who said the laptop was being returned and I would have to drive to the nearest apple store (90 minutes each way) and see if they can replace the battery there.

About this Mac details: MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)

First email from apple after initial call and process through apple system Says:

Product: VIN,MACBOOK (RETINA, 12-INCH, EARLY 2015)

Does VIN mean vintage? If so, why did they tell me to send it in the first place?

Email from apple support after they received device:

The Mac we received is vintage and not eligible for repair at the AppleCare Repair Center. We are returning it to you without repair.

So I don't really know how a replacement was processed through their system on a device which was purchased through apple and has been in their system the whole time. Went all the way to apple support, only to tell me to drive out to see if the mall store has a battery for it as 'Apple Support' does not.

I guess the main point is to encourage me to ditch it and buy a new one.

2015 laptop battery service error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.