Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open Keynote presentations in the app through links or Keynote Web

I received a link to a Keynote presentation so that I can collaborate in it, but the link opens the presentation in Keynote Web instead of the app. When I click Open in Keynote, it says that I need to have the latest version of Keynote (which I have) and Cloud Drive enabled (which I also have). I tried signing in to Keynote Web and reinstalling Keynote, but it still doesn't work.

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 2:58 PM

Hello RWSupport58,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about the issue you're having with opening Keynote presentations from the iCloud website and within the Keynote app. We found the following requirements "To collaborate on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, you'll need an iPhone with iOS 14, an iPad with iPadOS 14, or a Mac with macOS Big Sur or later, and Pages, Numbers, or Keynote 11.2 or later.

To collaborate using Pages, Numbers, or Keynote online at iCloud.com, you'll need Safari 9.1.3 or later or Google Chrome for your Mac. For PC you'll need Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge." here: About collaboration for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote

Double-check that you have the required versions installed. To check Safari, open Safari then choose the Safari menu > About Safari. For Keynote, you'll open that app and choose the Keynote menu > About Keynote.

Keep us posted!

Take care.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2022 2:58 PM in response to RWSupport58

Hello RWSupport58,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about the issue you're having with opening Keynote presentations from the iCloud website and within the Keynote app. We found the following requirements "To collaborate on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, you'll need an iPhone with iOS 14, an iPad with iPadOS 14, or a Mac with macOS Big Sur or later, and Pages, Numbers, or Keynote 11.2 or later.

To collaborate using Pages, Numbers, or Keynote online at iCloud.com, you'll need Safari 9.1.3 or later or Google Chrome for your Mac. For PC you'll need Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge." here: About collaboration for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote

Double-check that you have the required versions installed. To check Safari, open Safari then choose the Safari menu > About Safari. For Keynote, you'll open that app and choose the Keynote menu > About Keynote.

Keep us posted!

Take care.

Jan 7, 2022 4:05 AM in response to TammyW_03

Hi,

I may not have been quite clear, but I meant that the Open Keynote thing in Keynote Web didn't open the app even with all the requirements. I can use Keynote Web perfectly fine, but I find it slightly inconvenient compared to using the app since it doesn't have dark mode and a few other features. I did try using Safari to open Keynote Web then opening the app from there, but it gave the same thing as when I used my main browser (Opera). I did make sure that I updated both Safari and Keynote to the latest version, for that matter.

Mar 7, 2022 4:37 PM in response to Virrig

I managed to find a workaround where when opening the link in a website, it'll automatically download the document into Cloud Drive (assuming you're logged in). Thus, instead of opening it in Keynote through the button on the website, I'd go to Keynote itself, where I would find the presentation in Cloud Drive. Of course, I'd prefer that the link open Keynote without having to go to the iCloud website to download it, but at least it works, I suppose.

Apr 24, 2022 8:49 AM in response to RWSupport58

Alright, I think I know what's happening: if you open a Keynote link in desktop apps like TextEdit (as Peter Lars Jensen said) or Discord, the presentation will automatically open in the app. However, if you open it in a browser website like WhatsApp Web or any other website, it would open the iCloud website. I still don't know why the Open in Keynote button does not work, but hey, at least we know what's going on with the links. Personally, I'd open it in the browser if I have to so it'll download into iCloud Drive, which I can then open from the iCloud Drive category in Finder.

Can't open Keynote presentations in the app through links or Keynote Web

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.