Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“Desktop” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.

Hello! I get the reply “Desktop” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found, when I attempt to open Desktop...any suggestions on how to remedy this? Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 1:22 PM

You (apparently unwittingly) agreed to put your Documents and Desktop folders in iCloud.

There is nothing wrong with it, if that is what you want.

You can drag the Desktop folder that you see in iCloud Drive to the Finder Sidebar, to have it easily accessible (this does not move it from iCloud, it just creates a shortcut to open it more quickly).

If you did not mean to have these in iCloud, you can revert to the previous situation. I can help you with that if you need to.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2022 1:22 PM in response to meyton

You (apparently unwittingly) agreed to put your Documents and Desktop folders in iCloud.

There is nothing wrong with it, if that is what you want.

You can drag the Desktop folder that you see in iCloud Drive to the Finder Sidebar, to have it easily accessible (this does not move it from iCloud, it just creates a shortcut to open it more quickly).

If you did not mean to have these in iCloud, you can revert to the previous situation. I can help you with that if you need to.

Jan 5, 2022 11:44 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you Luis.

I initially tried to open from Finder as I usually do, that is when the message appeared.

Subsequently I looked for alternative routes and, indeed, I can open from iCloud Drive in Finder.

So all is not lost, but I find it simpler and more direct to open as I have previously, from a specific and direct label in Finder under Favorites

Do you believe that I can re-position Desktop in the Favorites bar as it was previously?

Jan 5, 2022 1:38 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Dear Luis.

BINGO, I believe that's just what I needed.

Have dragged the Desktop from iCloud to Finder and we seem to be back where I was before this muddle.

The only issue remaining is how to delete the previous Desktop icon from Finder, but that is secondary to the main issue.

Many, many thanks Luis, for your advice and most helpful replies.

Jan 5, 2022 3:09 PM in response to meyton

Addenda to my previous reply:

On restarting my iMac the Desktop folder which appeared before as a Favorite in Finder is no longer there...I found a new iCloud FOLDER (not the CLOUD icon) beneath the iCloud icon.....not sure if you follow me?

The new iCloud FOLDER seems to replace the Desktop folder which appeared in Favourites as mentioned in my previous post; but the name and location are different.

The new iCloud FOLDER immediately beneath the iCloud CLOUD icon in Finder seems to be what was previously labeled Folder.

“Desktop” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.