Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase drive

If I erase the drive, how do I reinstall the OS?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 12:19 PM

9 replies

Jan 5, 2022 12:24 PM in response to criss97

You use the recover partition to re-install Mac OS.

• We need to know specifics about exactly what Mac you have so we know if it is an Intel based machine or a M1 based machine.
  • It is also helpful to know what version of Mac OS is installed on the computer too!

Please provide the information fo all bullets so we can help you, we are horrible mind readers!

Jan 5, 2022 12:50 PM in response to criss97

First, you need to get yourself a password management app that you can use on your phone, tablet and Mac. Something like 1Password. With all the logins and passwords we need to take care of every day, this is imperative.

You do not need to erase your drive and start over you only need to go into the Recovery Partition and reset your password. To learn how to get into the Recovery Partition click How to Boot an M1 Mac Into Recovery Mode (Compared to an Intel Mac) (macsales.com).

• Once in open Terminal app (hint please look in the menus)
  • Once in Terminal type resetpassword and follow the on-screen prompts.
  • Restart normally and login. DON'T forget to add the new password to your password manager!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 5, 2022 12:31 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for your prompt reply. I just purchased a new MacBook Pro 16-inch, M1 based machine. I incorrectly wrote down the password and recovery key (don't ask). Now I cannot open the computer, I can't reset the password because I don't have the recovery key. From what I have read, it seems the only solution is to erase the drive and start anew (and this time correctly record the password and recovery key!). My concern is that once the drive is erased, how do I instruct the machine to install the OS?

Jan 5, 2022 12:59 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I have a password manager, but it does no good when I keystroke the password into it incorrectly. I have previously tried your suggested solution, however once I get to the reset password dialog box, the next item requested is the recovery key to unlock the volume Macintosh HD. As I noted, I also miswrote the recovery key. Thus I cannot unlock the drive to reset the password. Your further suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Erase drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.