Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad — no colour

Hello Collective Wisdom,

Suddenly all colour has vanished from my iPad — everything is black & white: home screen, websites, everything. What has happened?? How do I fix it? The time-honoured universal repair, shut it down and restart, didn’t work. 🙁 TIA for all suggestions!

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 4:58 PM

If the screen colours appear to be distorted or unnatural, you need to check some key Accessibility settings that are intended to compensate for specific colour-vision issues:

Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size

Ensure that all settings enclosed within the red box above are switched OFF/Disabled.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2022 4:58 PM in response to charlesfromguelph

If the screen colours appear to be distorted or unnatural, you need to check some key Accessibility settings that are intended to compensate for specific colour-vision issues:

Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size

Ensure that all settings enclosed within the red box above are switched OFF/Disabled.

Jan 5, 2022 5:18 PM in response to LotusPilot

Amazing! In Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size I found Color Filters, and this was unaccountably set to Grayscale. Unchecking that restored my iPad to its former colourful self.

I have no idea how it got set to Grayscale!!! I wasn't mucking around with any settings.

How can that happen???

Meanwhile, a million thanks for your help!

iPad — no colour

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.