Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 Pro Bluetooth sound quality is terrible

Since switching to the iPhone 13 pro the Bluetooth sound quality is terrible. I’ve had iPhones for years and never had this problem. I have to turn up my trucks volume, my Bose earbuds are maxed out and my Bose speaker. Neither is very loud. The bass quality isn’t as good and it isn’t very loud at all with the volume all the way up. Nothing compared to what they sounded like with my iPhone XR. I’ve messed with EQ, Bluetooth set for speaker or headphones etc. nothing changes or helps. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 9:58 PM

I had the same issue. But I recently found the solution.

Go to ‘sound & haptics’ option under settings.

Click on ’ headphone safety’ and then disable the ‘Reduce loud sounds’ option.

That fixed it for me. Hope this helps.✌️

Similar questions

27 replies

Jan 25, 2022 9:52 PM in response to Jayers13

Hi,

I've been a long-time Android user for the last 8 years and decided to switch to the 13 Pro Max this year. As a lover of high quality music I recently bought an audiophile grade Bluetooth streaming device to stream music from my 13 Pro Max to the Hifi.

I was shocked to find that the sound quality from the iPhone 13 Pro Max bluetooth streaming is horrible! The device I stream to can handle all current high definition codecs and is future proof, so it's not the fault of the unit.

I had to bring my Samsung Note 10 + back into the fold for streaming and using the LDAC codec from the phone the audio is unbelievably good.

I'm really disappointed that there is no high definition Bluetooth streaming codec on an expensive range topping flagship device by Apple, which there should be!

When will this be added to the Apple Bluetooth streaming platform?

Flagship device without this flagship feature is unacceptable!

I thought Apple was serious about the quality of their audio?

Jan 6, 2022 1:32 PM in response to Jayers13

Hi there Jayers13,

You've already tried some great troubleshooting steps! We certainly want to help however we can as we use our iPhone for the car and wireless headphones.

We want to continue troubleshooting by confirming the following details:

1. Currently, is iOS 15.2 the version number showing within Settings > General > About? If not, here's a link that'll show how to first back up, then Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  2. If iOS 15.2 is already installed, this link shows how to Restart your iPhone.
  3. If you have a case on your iPhone, please remove it, then test for the same issue.
  4. If you disable Wi-Fi from the top of the Settings app, does the same issue occur?

Cheers!

Jan 13, 2022 5:32 AM in response to Jayers13

I'm on iOS 15.2.1 with iPhone 13 Pro Max. Bluetooth audio is lame, with sampling artefacts in treble. I upgraded from iPhone 12 which was stellar for Bluetooth audio (I work as a earphones tester). I compared both iPhones with dozen of earphones and the 12, with iOS 14.x or 15.x is way ahead in terms of soundstage and fluidity. Real disappointment here since I care a lot about sound quality and 13 Pro Max is a marvel for everything else. If you guys could make the 13 series shine as the 12, that would be great !

Jun 15, 2022 9:49 PM in response to sigurd162

I have been noticing this issue since my iPhone 6s/2015.

Surprisingly, my Apple Watch sounds better than my iPhones (6s, X, 13 Pro). The iPhones sounds compressed, muddy, and has a narrower sound stage while the Apple Watch sounds cleaner, more defined, and has a wide sound stage. I now only listen on my Apple Watch and only use the iPhone to modify my playlists. I also have an android phone with Apple Music installed and it sounds the same as my watch.

Does anyone's iPhone sounds muddy/narrow … - Apple Community

Mar 31, 2022 12:56 AM in response to lexipon

I'd check with Apple customer service first. Could be there are some defects in in phones.

I'd make warranty claim if quality of BT sound would be still unacceptable after checking customer service guidance.

Meanwhile the workaround could be be:

• use media connection cable in car if possible. It will give you losless sound quality better than BT at cost of lost of wireless convienience.

Jan 26, 2022 12:28 AM in response to sigurd162

The problem is not codec related. iPhone 12 with AAC streaming was way ahead of Android flagship streaming LDAC, with the same Bluetooth headphones. Bluetooth audio management in iPhone 12 was close to jitter free. I guess iPhone 13 Pro Max is plagued with jitter, which corrupts treble and soundstage. Jitter might be the reason why mids are boosted with 13 Pro Max too.

Feb 12, 2022 7:25 AM in response to Jayers13

I had the same issue. But I recently found the solution.

Go to ‘sound & haptics’ option under settings.

Click on ’ headphone safety’ and then disable the ‘Reduce loud sounds’ option.

Before this, the sound produced by Bluetooth or even a lighting to 3.5mm adapter seemed inferior to my other android devices. There was hardly any bass or sound stage. But this fixed it for me. Hope this helps✌️

Mar 23, 2022 4:06 PM in response to sigurd162

The good news is that iPhone/Apple devices provides alternative which gives sound quality better than LDAC, it is AirPlay.

LDAC is ~900kbps while AirPlay is CD quality (~1400kbps).

So the solution would be to invest in AirPlay enabled devices instead of bluetooth streamer(s).

If someone fancy streaming hi-res music then it's time to read about Roon capabilities.

Good luck!

Mar 30, 2022 11:40 PM in response to Jayers13

Hi Jayers 13, I also just bought my 13 pro max yesterday, upgraded from a 11 pro max and the sound quality is so different! The 13 pro max has a higher shriller treble, little base and sound balance. It actually hurts the ears. Speakers for youtube videos aren't as loud or clear.

In my car, the 11 pro max was amazing, it was smooth, well balance with good base and surround sound like a cinema quality. When you play any music from jazz, to rock to even kygo, the sound fills the car. but when I tried my 13 pro max this morning, it was so bad and i was really upset. It is a lot of money with the sound so poorly balanced and lack of oomph. Anyone has any solutions? Or is there an upgrade that can help.

iPhone 13 Pro Bluetooth sound quality is terrible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.