Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Needing help with Monterey and Aftershokz Open Comm headphones

Hi everyone,

My Aftershokz Open Comm headphones do not work after I bought my new computer which has Monterey. The sound only comes on one side & it goes on mute while I am on Zoom. There are NO issues when I use the same headphones on my Iphone XR - I hear the sound on both sides, etc.

The issue does not seem to be with Aftershokz. It seems to be with Mac Monterey. Any suggestions on how to resolve this? I am a coach & need to use my computer daily on Zoom calls. Thanks

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 10:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 4:44 PM

Hello averyl192,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with your wireless headphones not working on one side, and muting themselves when using Zoom. Does this only occur in the Zoom app or does it occur in all apps on your Mac? Does restarting your Mac help: Shut down or restart your Mac

If not, is there absolutely no sound on one side, or is it cutting in and out on one side? Follow these steps if you feel like the sound is cutting in and out: If the sound from your wireless headphones cuts out or is distorted

If you still have issues with them, try these steps as well: If a Bluetooth headset doesn’t work with Mac

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2022 4:44 PM in response to averyl192

Hello averyl192,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with your wireless headphones not working on one side, and muting themselves when using Zoom. Does this only occur in the Zoom app or does it occur in all apps on your Mac? Does restarting your Mac help: Shut down or restart your Mac

If not, is there absolutely no sound on one side, or is it cutting in and out on one side? Follow these steps if you feel like the sound is cutting in and out: If the sound from your wireless headphones cuts out or is distorted

If you still have issues with them, try these steps as well: If a Bluetooth headset doesn’t work with Mac

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Jan 12, 2022 8:56 AM in response to egwatts

Hi.. yes, I have been using the sound view to keep me off mute.. but as a person who likes to walk around when talking, it just does not work :-(.

the latest email from Aftershokz have asked me to turn multipoint off, then on again (multipoint is the ability to connect multiple bluetooth devices). email from Aftershokz below.

After following al their advise, I still have issues but Aftershokz have offered to replace them to see if that works.. so that's my next step..

Hope this helps.

Jan 6, 2022 7:55 PM in response to KMB_12

Hello kareng12,

Thank you for reaching out. I will try what you suggested.

Sadly since switching to Monterey the headphones do not work (only 1 side has sound) while listening to Music & when on Zoom it goes to mute suddenly. However I use the same apps on my iPhone XR & there is no issue at all. The other thing is that my old Trekz Air headphones work well with both my Mac Monterey and with my iPhone XR. So my thoughts are that it must be something with Monterey and Aftershokz Open Comm. However, I am going to try what you suggest & see what happens. Thanks again :-)

Jan 6, 2022 8:15 PM in response to averyl192

Hello kareng12,

I have done all the steps you have kindly suggested. None of them resolved the issue. When I paired my Aftershokz Open Comm with my iPhone XR, there is no issue on listening to music or on Zoom. However on my Macbook Air OS Monterey, I can only head sound on one side of the headphones and it automatically goes on mute in a Zoom call after 5 mins. I do not have this issue with my Aftershokz Trek Air which is a much older model. It seems that Monterey has caused issues with bluetooth headphones. I've tried it on older Mac OS systems and there is NO issue. It really is with Monterey :( I hope you and others can help me? I need to use my computer everyday & these headphones are the best. They worked fine until Monterey. Thank you

Jan 7, 2022 6:12 AM in response to SnickZ.

Hi SnickZ,

Thanks. I did reach out to Aftershokz & they helped me with a solution. They said it's a compatibility issue between their headphone programme and Monterey OS and software. As I have read on other forums, it seems many Mac users are facing the same issues with other Bluetooth headphones like Sony, etc after updating to Monterey. Sad :(

Jan 9, 2022 4:48 PM in response to egwatts

Hi egwatts,

This is what the staff at Aftershokz told me to do in regards to my using Zoom. Once you have your Open Comm switched on & paired to your computer as normal, go to the Audio Settings in Zoom. UNCLICK OR UNCHECK, the box Automatically adjust microphone volume (my issue was that my Open Comm went to mute without my doing anything). This resolved the issue for me for Zoom and with my Open Comm. Give it a try. I hope it works for you. Good luck. It also resolved the issue of me listening to music too.

Jan 11, 2022 7:31 AM in response to averyl192

Hi all, has anyone found a solution to this? I have opencomm with MacBook Pro.. my opencomm connects fine but, without warning, mute's its self... I then cannot unmute the opencomm headset..

Speaking with AfterShokz US they advise to to ing to Privacy settings and uncheck the audio options but this does not resolve the issue..

Help... does anyone know how to resolve this?

Jan 11, 2022 9:38 AM in response to lawrencefrombishops stortford

Hi Lawrence,

I have found a solution to my issue and it sounds very similar - muting unexpectedly and not being able to turn it back on.

I have a MacBook Air and assuming they are about the same. Before the zoom call starts and I know the headset is paired and connected, go to Settings, then Sound.

In the Sound panel you'll see the ShokzOpenComm. Mine was highlighted in light grey. Click on it and it turns blue. I left that box open in case it happened again. This morning I taught two classes, no problem.

Hope this helps!!

Evie

Feb 4, 2022 10:15 AM in response to averyl192

Actually something very similar is happening to me using Monterey. As soon as I enter to a meeting, either zoom or google meet my headphone goes into muted automatically. I keep hearing the muted beep on the headphones but even pressing the mute on off button on the device won't change a thing. As soon as I disconnect from the meeting, either zoom or google meet I get the message: "muted off".

Feb 4, 2022 12:58 PM in response to ray_me11

This was happening to me as well. I finally figured out that if I open Settings - Sound and click on Output - Aftershoxz and Input - Aftershokz I can hear and they can hear me. It's not a big deal and I hope they figure this out, but I do have to do it every time I open Zoom.

Once it happened and this trick didn't work. Had to use my airpods. And then I rebooted the computer after the call and it worked for the next one. Who knows?

Hope this helps.

Feb 4, 2022 3:20 PM in response to egwatts

I actually tried what egwatts suggested - I figured out that for some reason once I connect the Shokz as I am speaking the microphone volume starts to be decreased automatically until the Mute On function kicks in automatically. It is definitely only happening with these headphones using Monterey. If I use other headphones this issue doesn't occur. Anyone, ideas? Thank you everyone !

Feb 21, 2022 7:54 AM in response to averyl192

I have had the same issue. I purchased the OpenComm headset, returned those and got a replacement, and returned the replacement and purchased the OpenRun, and all have had the exact same problem with random muting during calls. I've been on the phone with support several times and nothing they have told me has worked. Unfortunately, I just have to return them. They are completely useless with MAC.

Mar 9, 2022 11:55 AM in response to averyl192

I purchased my Openrun Pro's 3 weeks ago. They were working great. I updated to Monterey this week and I am now experiencing the same issue. When I launch Zoom or Google Meets it turns on the mute function automatically and I can't turn it off. I had not experienced this before.

The work around is before I get on a call to go into the Sound settings. Turn on My Openrun Pros and then click on them to turn blue on the Output screen. You will hear your headphones say un-muted.

While this is aggravating it is a work around.

Cheers

Apr 14, 2022 10:45 AM in response to DAF_M4

My new OpenComm headset from Aftershokz worked beautifully on my phone and my MacBook Pro but when I connected it to my new iMAC, running Monterey 12.3.1, I had the same problem. I'm going to try some of the suggestions in this chat to see if that helps. FYI - You can unmute your headset by pressing both the + and - volume buttons at the same time - sometimes it stays that way and other times it returns.

Needing help with Monterey and Aftershokz Open Comm headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.