Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bose Companion 5 not working with latest Mac OS (Ventura)

I just wanted to resurface a solution to this problem that another member posted some time ago, and which is in a closed thread. The original message read:

"There are many threads over the Internet discussing issues with Bose Companion 5 when connected via USB. I found no answer in those discussions, but I found a solution and I'd like to share it here. All the old threads are locked, so I can't post a reply, so here we are. Chances are you exactly know what I'm talking about if you found this page in your search engine results ;-)

What was happening: My Companion 5 frequently stopped working after a little while of having the music paused, or when I switched audio outputs (think listening music via speakers, then making a call via headphones, then wanting to switch back to loud music via speakers - the second time no sound went out until I disconnected and reconnected the USB cable).

I am running a 16" Macbook Pro with all the latest updates. The issue occurred when the speaker was connected using a USB-C to USB-A dongle and then USB-A to USB-B cable.

All my issues disappeared when I used USB-C to USB-B cable without any dongles."

I wanted to let all know that using a USB-C to USB-B cable (without dongles) indeed resolved this issue for good. I had sent Bose my subwoofer unit for repair, but the issue persisted. But using the previously mentioned cable solved all issue immediately. Posting here in case it is helpful to anyone.

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 12:45 PM

17 replies

Feb 14, 2023 12:18 PM in response to cjalonso1

Same issue persists. I have the USB-C to USB-B cable. It works great until the computer goes to sleep or the screensaver kicks in. Once I get back into it, there is no sound. I've tried the Midi settings, I've tried the Sound Settings and nothing keeps the Companion 5 awake. I've now contacted the USB straight to the Studio Monitor, but I'm having the same issue.

How can I keep the USB active on the speaker and not let it go to sleep/stop working?

Mar 7, 2023 11:22 AM in response to cjalonso1

GOT IT WORKING!!!!

I have a m1pro MacBook pro. I have the studio display.

I purchased this from amazon: Anker USB C Hub, PowerExpand 6-in-1 USB C PD Ethernet Hub with 65W Power Delivery, 4K HDMI, 1Gbps Ethernet, USB-C Data Port, 2 USB 3.0 Data Ports, for MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad Pro, XPS

I have this hub plugged into the back of my Studio display. No extra power is connected to the hub. I also have an ethernet cable plugged into it. I used the regular USB cable and plugged it into the USB3.0 port on this hub. The other end is connected to my Bose companion 5.

Its been running like a champ! don't matter if you change the source or anything. It works like it did when I got it years ago.

https://a.co/d/13HVZxW

Nov 22, 2022 11:27 AM in response to cjalonso1

These Bose Companion 5 have been driving me absolutely nuts since I purchased my Mac Studio a few months ago. I was ready to give up and purchase new speakers, but then I saw your post and decided to give the USB-C to USB-B cable a try. I am only 24 hours into it, so the jury is still out. But WOW, I think this solved the issue! I'll post a follow-up if I run into any issues, but so far this seems to be working. A HUGE thank you for sharing!!

Feb 17, 2023 8:39 AM in response to pinpointa

I'm having the same problem here w/ my Bose Companion 5 speakers connected to an Apple Studio Display and my MBP M2 Max running Ventura 13.2.1 I'm using a USB-C to USB-B cable (as suggested above) which works when first plugged in but then stops working after a few minutes. Disconnecting the cable and plugging it back into the thunderbolt port temporarily restores sound. The problem can also be replicated by manually switching the output (in System Settings/Sound) to the Studio Display speakers (which works) and then back to the Bose USB Audio setting (which then fails). Worth noting: The system does not have to go to sleep for the speakers to stop working. Toggling the output in Sound also can cause them to fail.

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this same problem and if they have stumbled upon a solution?

Feb 17, 2023 8:54 AM in response to PapaGToo

I updated everything possible, and after tinkering with it, I re-connected the USB-C to USB-B cable directly to the MBP, and it's been working for the past two days. I just woke the computer up after seeing your notification via email and tested it - the audio is working fine now. Try connecting the cable straight to the MBP and give it a shot! GL!

Feb 17, 2023 9:19 AM in response to pinpointa

Okay! Although it's not an ideal solution (I'd rather not have multiple cables to connect/disconnect every time I need to relocate) I've made the change and so far, so good. I have tested toggling the sound output multiple times without failure so this is progress. I think you're onto something... the problem is apparently related to using one of the Studio Display thunderbolt ports rather than a MBP port directly. I'll repost here if anything changes.

Apr 11, 2023 7:59 PM in response to cjalonso1

Thanks so much for the tip! I've upgraded my iMac 2012 to a MacBook Air M2. I just can't afford the Apple Studio monitor so went the route of a 27" Asus PA278CV which is not as awesome, but plenty adequate for my needs. For the life of me I could not figure out how to get my Bose Companion 5 working ~ it has a usb-a male connection that worked just fine plugged into my old iMac. I thought for sure I should be able to plug it into the Asus usb hub but that did not work at all. I tried the route of adding two cables to accomplish connecting the Bose male usb end to the Asus 3.5mm headset port (3 pieces: a female usb-a to male usb-a cable, connected to a female-to-female connector, and that connected that to a usb-a male to 3.5mm male cable) No luck, no sound ~ the Macbook Air didn't recognize the Bose even after unplugging and replugging. I was almost to the point of thinking my much-loved Bose Companion 5 would need to retire. Then I found this thread and purchased a female usb-a to lightening cable and that did the trick. I also discovered that the Macbook Air automatically sleeps after 2 minutes of non-use, which was shutting down the tunes, so I extended that to 2 hours. I am thrilled my Bose Companion 5 is back in action. I'll never have to listen to the crappy 2w speakers on my Asus monitor :)

Bose Companion 5 not working with latest Mac OS (Ventura)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.