Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration of iMovie Files to new MacBook

I just got a 2021 MacBookPro. I did a migration from my old MacBook to the new one. But when I open iMovie it says my files are not there, and I need to select where they are? Well, where are they? I don't know where all those project files were stored...and lord I hope I did not lose them all!!!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 11:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 6:56 PM

Turns out, my new Macbook was probably made before November.....but iMovie just need an update and everything worked after that. Apple Support was AWESOME in getting it figured out! Thanks for your response!

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 6, 2022 8:55 AM in response to MidtownThom

I'm not quite envisioning your situation. Can you provide more details. When you say "files" do you mean the projects themselves or the media that is contained in the project? What exactly do you see when you open iMovie? And what is the exact wording of the message you are getting? Are your project icons displayed in the project browser? When you open a project, do you see clips with a ? mark in them and a "missing file" designation? It would be helpful if you would post a screen shot of what you are seeing.

To cover the bases, if your iMovie library is located on an external drive make sure the drive is formatted properly and is plugged into your Mac.

In iMovie 10, the projects and the media are located in the iMovie library. Usually the library is located in the Movies folder on your Mac, but it can be located anywhere, such as in an external drive. If the library is located on an external drive, the drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. You can see the projects when you control-click on the library's icon in the Movie folder (Go/Home/Movies) or on the external drive and select Show Package Contents from the drop down menu. The projects will be displayed in folders, but you cannt play the projects there. The media is contained in the Original Media folder that is contained in each Project folder. However, do not move or modify anything in the iMovie library Show Package Contents or you risk corrupting the library. Access the library through the iMovie application itself.

-- Rich

Migration of iMovie Files to new MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.