Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homepod Mini won't run shortcuts

Is someone able to explain how the homepod mini runs shortcuts? It is supposed to be able to (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/shortcuts/apd07c25bb38/ios). However, more often than not, mine fails with the "hmmm, I didn't hear back" error message.

It seems the homepod is trying to connect my iphone to run the shortcut - correct? But this still fails with the iphone unlocked and on the same home network.

Currently I am rebooting my phone and homepod almost every day to resolve. Definitely not a shortcut!

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

HomePod mini, 15

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 1:21 AM

6 replies

Jan 7, 2022 8:26 PM in response to mattcd216

I had this problem too. But, suddenly, it works. All I can think is that the recent ios and Homepod update fixed it or; it requires some odd permission thing, the name escapes me, but the phone/Siri will tell you, it needs it. This time I dug deeper, found it, turned it on, and, other than Siri being very slow compared to Alexa, my Shortcuts controlling non Homekit smart plugs all work!

It has nothing to do with the Homekit automation, which my smart plugs do not work with. But they are Shortcut compatible via the app option when creating one.

Mar 8, 2022 1:12 AM in response to mattcd216

Thought I should update here - unfortunately still seeing the same intermittent performance after disabling private wifi address, so that hasn't solved.

Homepod/Siri regularly fails to trigger shortcuts. Even Siri on the iphone struggles sometimes.

I've been trying with Apple a year now but they're so far behind on home smarts I will be migrating back to Google.

Jan 7, 2022 8:30 AM in response to Ozzie1910

Thanks. Checked - both on same icloud account.

The homepod failed today with "hey siri, message Erica", which is hasn't done before. Again, points to the link between the homepod and the iphone.

Anyone able to assist with connectivity advice? I do have a slightly more complex home network than most (I'm a network engineer by trade) - 4 access points (counting both 2.4 and 5ghz) and I run my own DNS and DHCP servers... I'm guessing if the phone is roaming between access points then the homepod can't reach it.

Jan 19, 2022 3:23 AM in response to mattcd216

Hi all.

Resolution (for me) - disable private wifi address. I have had 5 days perfect running now, whereas before shortcuts were failing from the homepod several times a day.

I had a good chat with apple support. Hard one to troubleshoot as the issue was intermittent. We thought the issue was multiple hotspots (and dual-band hotspots), but I have proved this works fine by forcing my iphone and homepod on to different SSIDs, but same network.

Thought I'd share :)

Homepod Mini won't run shortcuts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.