Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question on upload to iCloud paused

i keep getting a message when I got to my text messages saying “uploading to iCloud paused. Plug in your device and connect to Wi-Fi” but it never goes away. What can I do?

iPhone 13

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 7:22 AM

I charged to 95%. While charging, the Uploading message persisted. Now the device is no longer plugged in, and the same message is persisting. The uploading never ceases. But it’s difficult to think it’s actually doing any actual uploading. No new messages have been sent or received within the last hour. It’s been like this for well over an hour.

Next I will try a hard reboot.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2022 7:22 AM in response to malum363

I charged to 95%. While charging, the Uploading message persisted. Now the device is no longer plugged in, and the same message is persisting. The uploading never ceases. But it’s difficult to think it’s actually doing any actual uploading. No new messages have been sent or received within the last hour. It’s been like this for well over an hour.

Next I will try a hard reboot.

Jan 27, 2022 5:34 AM in response to malum363

Same issue, iPad Pro (2017), at the bottom of Messages appeared a little message saying uploading to iCloud was paused, and saying I needed to plug in the device and make sure WIFI was connected. Uploading was not actually paused, apparently, as I could see from my iPhone, which seemed perfectly up to date in Messages. I assume, correct me if I’m wrong, that for this to happen, icloud uploading must be working. Obviously the wifi signal was fine. Battery at 60%. I did not need to plug the device in to make the message go away. Restarting the device worked, I.e. the ‘paused’ message went away at least. What happened next was it said “uploading messages to iCloud” with a blue progress bar underneath, and that stayed on the screen a long time, and then, lo, the paused message has just now reappeared. I have plugged in the device and sure enough the paused message has gone away and so far not reappeared. Waiting with bated breath to see whether it will reappear once the device is no longer plugged in.

Jan 27, 2022 6:16 AM in response to malum363

Device is still plugged in and the message is now saying “uploading messages to iCloud” with a progress bar that is not moving. The message has stayed on screen ever since being plugged in, 25 minutes ago. The device battery % is increasing very slowly. I am starting to wonder whether this “uploading” that never finishes is using a lot of juice.

Feb 2, 2022 4:09 PM in response to LA_KID21

My wife's devices are both experiencing this issue. iPhone 13 and iPad Air 4 both running 15.3 operating systems. I've searched other threads in the support communities and have tried everything from shutting down, hard rebooting, disabling/enabling Messages in iCloud, and restoring the phone entirely. Message keeps coming back.

Feb 14, 2022 8:27 AM in response to LA_KID21

Same problem. So I deleted text message data By mistake . Proceeded to wipe my iPhone and reload from the cloud version that had the message data (night before date) and it updated almost everything except notes and of course it did not update the deleted text messages ! Now it’s fully charged and has good WiFi connection and no matter what I do including turning hard off - and on still says “ uploading to iCloud paused plug in your device and connect to Wi-if . But why! I see nothing I can do different… frustrating .

Feb 14, 2022 1:26 PM in response to dori290

Frustrating indeed. Try to bear with it for a while, and hopefully the mysterious message will go away eventually, as it did for me. I still have no idea what the message means or why it occurs, or why it went away. It’s possible that it’s a sign of a more general issue with cloud syncing. While the weird iMessage uploading message was occurring for me, cloud syncing for Safari bookmarks/tabs was failing. I eventually messed with it and it got it to work. (Interestingly, photos never seemed to have a problem.). It’s horrible that you lost some Notes during the restore from backup, that’s kind of scary. I’m always paranoid with these cloud things that if you happen to do the “wrong” thing, you may wind up wiping out the data in the cloud, instead of being able to restore from it.

Question on upload to iCloud paused

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.