iCloud Syncing Paused

even when on wifi and charging.

in messages on an iPhone 13 mini IOS 15.6.1. I have rebooted

any ideas?

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 1:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2024 5:59 AM

"Settings > Tap your profile > iCloud > Under “Apps Using iCloud” tap “Show All” > Messages in iCloud > Sync Now" doesn't work for me.. nearly immediately it goes back to "Syncing Paused" after initiating "sync now".. :-(

51 replies

Nov 15, 2022 2:49 PM in response to AndrewIH

Hello AndrewIH,

The first thing we would suggest would be to power cycle the iPhone by following these steps found at Restart your iPhone - Apple Support:  

1. Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.

2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo.

While simple, this can refresh the iOS, apps and connections. 

If the problem continues, and the issue is confined to Messages, follow these steps:

1. Tap on Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Show All
  2. Look for Messages
  3. If On, tap Messages
  4. Toggle "Sync this iPhone" off
  5. Wait 10 seconds
  6. Toggle "Sync this iPhone" back on

The purpose of these steps is also to reset the connection with the servers.

Have a good day.

Jan 5, 2023 12:37 PM in response to Truffles100

The same thing has been happening to me in 16.2 on my iPad, but while the Files app tells the syncing is paused (at the bottom of the window and and has an exclamation mark with circular arrows around it next to iCloud Drive in the side bar), it is actually syncing in the background. To get rid of the incorrect app badging, I followed the instructions srbwanderer has above but for Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Drive > toggle off, wait a bit, and turn it back on. After the Files app reestablished syncing with the iCloud Drive servers, the app badging is fixed. Hope this helps.

Dec 28, 2023 6:30 AM in response to AndrewIH

I’ve had this problem not only with thinking to iCloud but downloading from iCloud back up when restoring an iPhone 12. It is a problem. I have been in contact with customer support twice a week since the beginning of December. They know, and I have given them the best diagnosis I can to where they’re hanging up. I don’t know exactly where, but it seems like iOS does not understand download or upload by cellular, even if Wi-Fi is turned off in the settings. They are working on it and as of 9:30 AM New York time there is no update to iOS 17.2.1.

Dec 28, 2023 3:46 AM in response to AndrewIH

Same problem as others. Messages pause in iCloud syncing. Tried everything mentioned in this forum as well as other sources online. I also upgraded my storage to 200 GB though still had 9 GB left. Have contacted support 3 times yesterday and gone through all the suggested steps they give me and despite all that last night I tried for the third time while connected to power, deleting all the messages in cloud and then started the 4 hour process of getting them synced to cloud again. After 4 hours that blue line gets almost to the very end and then I get the sync paused message with 543 messages left to sync. Not sure exactly how long this has been going on, I suspect since iOS 17. Currently my phone is updated to iOS 17.2.1. Calling support again today but doubtful there is a fix. My apple care runs out on January 2.

Dec 29, 2023 5:34 PM in response to AndrewIH

just in case anyone comes accross this thread in the future, I had this same issue in the messages app on my macbook pro.

if you "Sync Now" just from within the messages app settings, it goes for a bit and then pauses without explanation. (Messages -> Settings -> iMessage tab -> "Sync Now")

however, doing it through iCloud:

System Settings -> Apple ID -> iCloud -> Apps using iCloud (Show more Apps) -> Messages in iCloud -> Status (Sync Now) -- it seems to work properly.

not sure if these are referring to the same sync process or something different.

Mar 27, 2023 12:08 PM in response to AndrewIH

Back up your iPhone to a Mac or at least to full iCloud. (Go to settings)

update your iPhone to 16.x

the bad syncing issue doesn’t disappear but is less frequent since updating

create a free proton account and use free proton VPN and let apple know on their feedback pages that you want better support and better tech beyond pregnant man emojis.

iCloud Syncing Paused

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.