Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message history?

The message history for all my messages in the message app on my iMac have suddenly disappeared? I don't have cloud sync for my messages, but I do have my account enabled for messages on my iMac, this has always allowed my iMac to send and receive text messages (the only difference not having cloud sync enabled is that if I delete messages on my iPhone, it doesn't delete on my iMac, which is why I disabled it cause I liked having my iMac always having a full history of everything).

But starting yesterday all my text messages on my iMac only show the single most recent text message for every contact. I double checked my preferences are to keep messages "forever" and "save history when conversations are closed," it doesn't appear I've had any system or app updates. Anyone have any clue what's happened?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 6:37 PM

Hi go to your iMessages app on your Mac go to preferences in the general tab check this , if its set to 30 days that means your old message gone but you want to keep it set it Forever

2 replies

Jan 7, 2022 5:50 PM in response to Ozzie1910

Yes, that setting has always been set to "forever" and the "save history when conversations are closed" has always been enabled.

One thing I did discover is if I use the search function, I can still pull up old messages, but I can't scroll through conversations any longer, as only the most recent messages are displayed for every conversation.

Message history?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.