Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble adding faces in Mac Photos app 7.0

I have trouble manually adding faces to photos (when Photos app doesn't detect the face). I add the "face circle" and it appears in the center of the photo. The problem occurs when I attempt to move the face circle to the correct location. It nearly always "jumps back" to the center of the photo. I try to move it back and usually jumps back to the center. Eventually it will stay in the proper location, but may take many attempts. Sometimes I give up and move to another photo, then return to find the circle has moved to the correct location.

I doubt if anyone has a solution to this, but I am concerned that this may be due to a corruption to my library, or if this is simply a common issue that others are experiencing. I have experienced this issue for several years to a lesser degree, but recently has become much worse and makes adding faces a nearly futile exercise.

Any thoughts?

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 6:58 AM

Try to type the proper name into the name field below the circle, before you try to adjust the location and size of the circle. It is easier to move the circle and to resize it, once a name has been entered.

If it still does not work, restart Photos. Sometimes I need to restart the Mac as well, if the faces circle keeps jumping back.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2022 6:58 AM in response to David Strait

Try to type the proper name into the name field below the circle, before you try to adjust the location and size of the circle. It is easier to move the circle and to resize it, once a name has been entered.

If it still does not work, restart Photos. Sometimes I need to restart the Mac as well, if the faces circle keeps jumping back.

Jan 7, 2022 8:03 AM in response to léonie

Wow, thanks!

I tried it a few times and that seems to solve the issue. I was a bit surprised that there was a solution to this, but also glad to find that it wasn't simply a problem with my library... apparently just another bug!

I'm always impressed how stable Aperture was (and Lightroom is) compared to Photos. There are a lot of things I like about Photos, but I always seem to have weird issues with it (e.g. why does it frequently create a "new" person with an identical name! ...maybe that is a "feature.").

Anyway... you are an enormous help getting me through these problems (as usual).

Trouble adding faces in Mac Photos app 7.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.