Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini internet speed test starts high but ends low

My Mac Mini internet speed test starts high at about 200 Mbps but by end of the test ends at about 55 Mbps. All other devices on the network stay at high speeds. Also happens when Mac Mini connected to modem via ethernet. This is not a router so it is the only device on the network. This only happens with the Mac Mini. Mac Mini late 2012 with OS 10.15.7

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 6:59 PM

True. I’ve tried multiple speed test sites with multiple locations from each all with similar results. Unlike your curve which is relatively flat, mine jumps up at the start and then is a steep slope down. Ends about 60 and that is what is listed as my download speed. I pay for 600 Mbps and my other devices get 250 to 500 Mbps depending on activity. This Mac Mini used to be the same, download speeds about 200, but something happened a few months ago.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2022 6:59 PM in response to bobcollard

True. I’ve tried multiple speed test sites with multiple locations from each all with similar results. Unlike your curve which is relatively flat, mine jumps up at the start and then is a steep slope down. Ends about 60 and that is what is listed as my download speed. I pay for 600 Mbps and my other devices get 250 to 500 Mbps depending on activity. This Mac Mini used to be the same, download speeds about 200, but something happened a few months ago.

Jan 8, 2022 1:53 PM in response to elasco149

You may be confusing the Download and upload speeds. Use Ethernet, it will be faster than WiFi. An example below:

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...

Testing from Spectrum (***.***.**.**)...

Retrieving speedtest.net server list...

Selecting best server based on ping...

Hosted by Ablative Bespoke & Visionary Networks Corp (Madison, WI) [7.13 km]: 32.022 ms

Testing download speed................................................................................

Download: 198.10 Mbit/s

Testing upload speed................................................................................................

Upload: 8.24 Mbit/s

Jan 8, 2022 3:10 PM in response to bobcollard

Thank you. I appreciate the response. I was connected via Ethernet directly to the modem (not a router). You can watch the download speed spike at about 200 in the first couple of seconds of the test and then quickly drop over the next few seconds of the download test to about 50 or 60. Then the upload test shows about 20 Mbps which is standard for my service.

Mac Mini internet speed test starts high but ends low

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.