Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VHS to DVD

How can I convert my old VHS tapes to DVD on os Monterey?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 12:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 4:35 PM

You would need to convert your analog VHS tapes to digital with a video converter like Elgato. They will download to your Mac as they are being converted. (There are other video converters out there as well.) You will need the proper cables and adapters to connect from your camera or VHS recorder to your Mac's USB or Thunderbolt port.

Once you have converted the clips to digital and have them on your Mac, you can import them into iMovie for editing, or upload them directly into a DVD authoring app like DVD Creator by peng Guiping, available at the app store for about $14.97.

If you just want to create a data DVD, as opposed to a movie with themes and scenes, you can burn the digitized clips to a DVD using the burn program on your Mac. See Finder help instructions -- type in "burn CDs or DVDs" in the search box for instructions.

With a data DVD you would be limited to the 4.7GB size of the DVD disc. With an authored DVD, on the other hand, the authoring app will compress around 26 GB of footage to fit on a standard 4.7 GB DVD disc.

In addition, you will need some good quality standard DVD-r discs and a DVD burner.

If you have one of the new M1 silicon chip Macs, some converters won't work with the M1. So you would need to do your research to make sure it will work with M1. The Elgato converter claims to work with M1 through Rosetta 2. But read up on it.

Here's a link to a thread that has helpful information about burning DVD discs.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250714476

-- Rich

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2022 4:35 PM in response to RbirdNC

You would need to convert your analog VHS tapes to digital with a video converter like Elgato. They will download to your Mac as they are being converted. (There are other video converters out there as well.) You will need the proper cables and adapters to connect from your camera or VHS recorder to your Mac's USB or Thunderbolt port.

Once you have converted the clips to digital and have them on your Mac, you can import them into iMovie for editing, or upload them directly into a DVD authoring app like DVD Creator by peng Guiping, available at the app store for about $14.97.

If you just want to create a data DVD, as opposed to a movie with themes and scenes, you can burn the digitized clips to a DVD using the burn program on your Mac. See Finder help instructions -- type in "burn CDs or DVDs" in the search box for instructions.

With a data DVD you would be limited to the 4.7GB size of the DVD disc. With an authored DVD, on the other hand, the authoring app will compress around 26 GB of footage to fit on a standard 4.7 GB DVD disc.

In addition, you will need some good quality standard DVD-r discs and a DVD burner.

If you have one of the new M1 silicon chip Macs, some converters won't work with the M1. So you would need to do your research to make sure it will work with M1. The Elgato converter claims to work with M1 through Rosetta 2. But read up on it.

Here's a link to a thread that has helpful information about burning DVD discs.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250714476

-- Rich

Jan 12, 2022 10:28 PM in response to Rich839

Rich,

Thank you very much for all the information. I'm going to have a look at the link you sent. I hope it will tell me which cables I need. I have a 2017 iMAC with an external DVD player/burner. I want to burn my VHS tapes to a DVD. I still have my VHS player. I have blank Sony DVD+ discs. Which I hope are good quality. I suppose now I just need cables and software programs. You have been very generous to give me directions. Thanks again

VHS to DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.