Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD replacement software Recommednations

Good Morning:

Well Apple has released Catalina and iDVD will not work with it, 32bit vs 64bit support. I am looking for a recommendation(s) for software that has close to the same features as iDVD. Features such as Menu and sub-menu, chaptering, audio voice over, etc.

I figured that this group would be the best place to start.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Best Regards - Mark K.

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 9:33 AM

My recommendation is to get an external SSD, install High Sierra on it and run iDVD from it when you want to create a video DVD. Then you can also use iMovie HD 6, which is the best version of iMovie ever released;

Other than than the only app I've found that can make video DVD from still photos as well as video files is DVD Maker Lite - DVD Creator. The free demo version will put a watermark on the resulting slideshow but it'll let you see if you want to purchase it or not.

The GUI is nowhere as intuitive as iDVD's. It'll take you a while to figure out how to add menu art among other things.

If all you use are video/movie files there are a number of apps at the App Store, many with free, demo versions that will do the job and have fairly easy GUIs. Just search for video DVD.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2019 9:33 AM in response to Batman-15

My recommendation is to get an external SSD, install High Sierra on it and run iDVD from it when you want to create a video DVD. Then you can also use iMovie HD 6, which is the best version of iMovie ever released;

Other than than the only app I've found that can make video DVD from still photos as well as video files is DVD Maker Lite - DVD Creator. The free demo version will put a watermark on the resulting slideshow but it'll let you see if you want to purchase it or not.

The GUI is nowhere as intuitive as iDVD's. It'll take you a while to figure out how to add menu art among other things.

If all you use are video/movie files there are a number of apps at the App Store, many with free, demo versions that will do the job and have fairly easy GUIs. Just search for video DVD.

Oct 22, 2019 8:21 AM in response to turnerlolly

Good Morning Rosalind:

Prior to my installing Catalina, the installation process popped up a window with list of all the applications that would no longer function if I continued with the Catalina installation. I exited the install and went about finding replacement applications for the ones I use on a daily basis that would no longer be supported. The only one I could not find quickly was a replacement for iDVD, which is why I posted here in the first place. That being said, if you want to find out what other applications you may have problems with, you can check for them under About This Mac >> System Report >> Legacy Applications.

Here are my thoughts on reverting back to Mojave:

1. If you have a Mojave installation disk and If you have been using time machine, you can do a fresh install and restore your Mac from an earlier date prior to installing Catalina.
  2. If you do not have an installation disk you can try to re-install over the network. The issue with this method is that I don't know if Mojave will still be offered as an installable OS. Here is a link to get you started: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904
  3. I know Photoshop is expensive, however, If Photoshop is the only application that you use, have you looked into upgrading it to 64bit?

In closing, good luck and have a great day!

Regards - Batman

Oct 16, 2019 9:32 PM in response to Batman-15

Hello World! BLUF: After testing several of the "TOP" software DVD creating applications, the best replacement software for iDVD I found was made by Peng GUIPING and is called DVD Creator and is available in the app store for $14.99. Below is a list of the software packages I tested and my findings:

DVD Authoring Software

Wondershare DVD Creator

Change Fonts - Yes

Chaptering - No

Roxio Titanium 18

Change Fonts - No

Chaptering - Yes

Does not work and produces very poor videos

VideoSolo

Change Fonts - Yes

Chaptering - No

VideoPad

Change Fonts - No

Chaptering - No

Peng GUIPING

DVD Creator - Burn Video Maker

*Disable - Screensaver & Power Save mode.

Change Fonts - Yes

Chaptering - Yes

ISO File - Yes

DVD - Yes

Video Quality - Great

Step to Burn DVD

1. Use iMove to import video and opening 

2. create scenes.

3. Using DVD Creator do the following:

3a. Import movie

3b. Set chapters

3c. Set Background

3d. Set screen music

3e. Create sub-menu and frames and titles

3f. Preview

3g. Create ISO or burn DVD (If creating ISO go to step 4.

4. Using finder select the file and select burn to disc.

iDVD replacement software Recommednations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.