Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD no longer available with High Sierra?

So iDVD is no longer available? Just gone? No replacement or upgrade?

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 9:27 AM

iDVD was discontinued about 5 years ago. The last system it worked with without problems was High Sierra. If you have High Sierra or earlier you can get an iLife 09 disc from Amazon.com or eBay.com to install and update to the last version available from the Apple Downloads site.

Otherwise go to the App Store and search for "video DVD" to get a number of potential alternatives. Many come with free demo versions you can try before purchasing.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 9:27 AM in response to timeisnotonmyside

iDVD was discontinued about 5 years ago. The last system it worked with without problems was High Sierra. If you have High Sierra or earlier you can get an iLife 09 disc from Amazon.com or eBay.com to install and update to the last version available from the Apple Downloads site.

Otherwise go to the App Store and search for "video DVD" to get a number of potential alternatives. Many come with free demo versions you can try before purchasing.

Nov 25, 2020 11:08 AM in response to timeisnotonmyside

Just do a Spotlight search for "DVD Player". When it comes up double click on it and then in the Dock select Keep in Dock from it's options. Then it'll always bee there in the Dock.

If you don't want it in the dock, turn on the optical driver and go to the System/CDs & DVDs preference pane and select

NOTE: the optical drive must be turned on and connected to the Mac for the CDs & DVDs pane to be visible

and select Open DVD Player when a video DVD is inserted into the drive.

Nov 25, 2020 10:47 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your thorough response, Old Toad.

First, I misstated my O.S. I am up to date with Big Sur. Got my California geography confused.

Second, I researched a bit more. What I found seems to say that I can still play a DVD on my Mac; I use a CD/DVD player. This is really the only use I was interested in. I did not and do not have interest in burning DVDs. I'll keep your info just in case anything changes for me.

iDVD no longer available with High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.