Related Article: Install memory in an iMac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I speed up my iMac 21.5" late 2013.

It says both memory slots are being used 4GB each and the computer is responding very slowly.

Thanks

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 11:15 AM

Hello there!

The first thing to do is to make sure your storage device isn't full. In this tutourial you can find out how you check the capacity, used space and what space you have left on your storage device. You'll also find some tips on how to free up space on your computer. If all of your storage space is used up it will drastically decreas the performance of a computer. If you have lots of space left, then we can roul out that, and try this next tip:

Buying more ram. Having to little ram will also decrease the performance of a computer. I'd recomment buying a new pair of ram sticks to replace your current ones. I'd recomment something simular to these. Just make sure that they are a pair of 8gb each, and that they are DDR4, and 2666Mhz or higher. Also make sure that they are supposed to be in a mac computer, otherwise it won't work at all. If you need help on how to install new ram to your computer, I'd recommend following this simple guide.

None of these fixes will make your mac feel brand new, niether will they make in feel snappy as ****. The computer is almost 9 years old, and the best thing (if you have the money for it) would be to buy a new computer. Everything mensioned above in performed on your own risk, and I'm by no means responsible for any damage caused to your computer. This is just a disclaimer, to prevent me for being held responsible for any result of this.

With that said, I'm sure anyone call perform these actions without causing damage to anything. Just follow each and every step carefully.

Hope this helped and let me know if you have any more questions regarding the speed of your mac.

// Gustav

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2022 11:15 AM in response to johil144

Hello there!

The first thing to do is to make sure your storage device isn't full. In this tutourial you can find out how you check the capacity, used space and what space you have left on your storage device. You'll also find some tips on how to free up space on your computer. If all of your storage space is used up it will drastically decreas the performance of a computer. If you have lots of space left, then we can roul out that, and try this next tip:

Buying more ram. Having to little ram will also decrease the performance of a computer. I'd recomment buying a new pair of ram sticks to replace your current ones. I'd recomment something simular to these. Just make sure that they are a pair of 8gb each, and that they are DDR4, and 2666Mhz or higher. Also make sure that they are supposed to be in a mac computer, otherwise it won't work at all. If you need help on how to install new ram to your computer, I'd recommend following this simple guide.

None of these fixes will make your mac feel brand new, niether will they make in feel snappy as ****. The computer is almost 9 years old, and the best thing (if you have the money for it) would be to buy a new computer. Everything mensioned above in performed on your own risk, and I'm by no means responsible for any damage caused to your computer. This is just a disclaimer, to prevent me for being held responsible for any result of this.

With that said, I'm sure anyone call perform these actions without causing damage to anything. Just follow each and every step carefully.

Hope this helped and let me know if you have any more questions regarding the speed of your mac.

// Gustav

can I speed up my iMac 21.5" late 2013.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.