Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro migration assistant

I want to do a migration but do not have the correct connectors to go lap top to lap top. I tried doing it wirelessly but that failed. Can I use the external hard drive that has time machine with data from old computer. How would I a migration from the external hard drive to the new computer?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 12:12 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

deflumeri wrote:

Can I use the external hard drive that has time machine with data from old computer. How would I a migration from the external hard drive to the new computer

Yes. In fact, that is the way you should do it as Wi-Fi and all other methods often fail. Follow these steps to restore from your Time Machine backup: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support.

Jack

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2022 12:12 PM in response to deflumeri

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

deflumeri wrote:

Can I use the external hard drive that has time machine with data from old computer. How would I a migration from the external hard drive to the new computer

Yes. In fact, that is the way you should do it as Wi-Fi and all other methods often fail. Follow these steps to restore from your Time Machine backup: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support.

Jack

Jan 10, 2022 3:09 PM in response to deflumeri

I finally got it work, but not on first try. If anyone wants to add to their answer on this, they should add that once the final step is taken, they should see a dark line going back and forth briefly, and then a creeping black line from left to right as material is loading. When I first began this process I had a green check mark next to the destination on there receiving computer. The sending computer had a spinning gear and a message that said it was culling out the appropriate information. I though it was in process. Apparently not so. Because I was advised that this process could take several days, I wasted that amount of time before moving forward again.

macbook pro migration assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.