Transferring to a new Mac

Hi everyone,

So I bought a new MacBook but it's had some glitches along with a jammed key already so I will be sending it back and swapping it out with a new one. Because I can not have both of them together when making the transition I want to know what method you would recommend now that migration assistant is not an option.

I am concerned that the time machine method may be limited. Do you agree?

Thanks so much!

Mac Pro (2023)

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 3:27 PM

I personally do not like Time Machine. My wife has need to save a lot of old emails for future reference. It is very difficult to find them with T.M. We moved on to Carbon Copy Cloner, which also has additional important features not found in T.M. It saves differently. I can open the C.C. backup disk and there is displayed all of my data, apps, etc. just as it is seen in my computer. Everything is easy to find. There is a one time fee, but I feel it's worth it. I think they offer a free trial to test it.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2023 3:27 PM in response to jl1997

I personally do not like Time Machine. My wife has need to save a lot of old emails for future reference. It is very difficult to find them with T.M. We moved on to Carbon Copy Cloner, which also has additional important features not found in T.M. It saves differently. I can open the C.C. backup disk and there is displayed all of my data, apps, etc. just as it is seen in my computer. Everything is easy to find. There is a one time fee, but I feel it's worth it. I think they offer a free trial to test it.

Transferring to a new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.