Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration to new Mac using Time Machine

I have tried repeatedly to use Time Machine backup for Migration but it is not happening. I start on my old iMac (mid 2010] and click on my last completed backup on Time Machine. It says it is transferring… I check hours later on new-to-me iMac (2019] and some piddly things have transferred but hardly any of my QuickTime moves and Final Draft have not. What is going on? I’ve been trying different ways with Migration (originally over Bluetooth (estimated 670 hours originally and I got it down to 120 before I completely lost my patience and my will to live!) Then started with Time Machine…

Please help before I throw them both out the window!

iMac 27″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 9:07 AM

Sorry to say this however you are doing your migration incorrectly. Please carefully read the instructions in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant and your migration should go VERY smoothly. If it does not that indicates that your Time Machine External Hard Disk is having problems and should be replaced.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2023 9:07 AM in response to CaryGrantRules

Sorry to say this however you are doing your migration incorrectly. Please carefully read the instructions in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant and your migration should go VERY smoothly. If it does not that indicates that your Time Machine External Hard Disk is having problems and should be replaced.

Mar 29, 2023 9:51 AM in response to CaryGrantRules

I did plug in my external to the new computer and it’s acting like it’s doing the work. I’ll check in a couple of hours, oops, 9 hours and 20 mins. Maybe someone could specify in instructions to start on the NEW computer. Might seem obvious to you engineers but as a lay person who googled for assistance and got other answers, it would help to specify. Now 3hours and 32mins…

Mar 29, 2023 10:14 AM in response to BDAqua

I'm a lay person just like you, not an engineer at all. However glad the migration is working now. Once it is complete just begin using your new Mac. As for the old Time Machine drive, if the drive is older than about 4 years it is wise to replace the drive, why....simple all spinning HD's wear out and die. The question is when, if the drive is about 4 years or older then it's wise to replace it for your Time Machine drive. You can still use the old External Hard Disk, just format it (use Disk Utility to format in APFS) and use the drive to store items you wouldn't be crushed if you lost them. My recommendation for a replacement External Hard Disk is listed in the Migration Assistant instructions I provided.

Also, as den.thed wisely said, ignore the on-screen "time remaining message", most migrations take anywhere from 2-4 hours how long it takes is based on the amount of data being migrated.

Just go enjoy your day, come back in a few hours and check to see how its doing.

Migration to new Mac using Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.