Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocking locked notes

How can i unlock my locked note that i forgot its password? I acctually saved it on my face id but then i found it wasdeleted from there.. please help this note is so important to me :(

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 5:17 PM

How to lock notes on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Apple implemented Notes locking using secure data encryption, and did not implement a backdoor.

Unfortunately, this current situation is indistinguishable from an unauthorized attempt to access the locked data.

10 replies

Jan 9, 2022 5:06 PM in response to hkthsam

No, you didn't save anything on your Face ID. Face ID does not store the locked notes password at all. It's encrypted on your phone and while you were able to open the note with Face ID, that was only temporary until you either updated your iPhone or restarted your iPhone. When you created the locked notes password, you were given an opportunity to created a locked note password hint. If you didn't do that, nor write the password down somewhere, you can guess as many times as you want, but until you enter the correct password, the note will remain locked. Apple can't help you and we can't help you.

In the future, since you say this note is very important to you, it's important to have a backup of passwords to avoid situations like this. I use an old fashioned notebook, which is locked in a safe place.

Jan 19, 2022 5:50 AM in response to ivacivo

ivacivo wrote:

My notes were locked, after I changed my Apple ID password, and finger biometric didnt allow it open,and it was asking password only !

The only way—the only way—to access that note is with the password.

Without that password—and without the assistance of a helpful hint entered with the password—that note is now and forever inaccessible.

As is the case everywhere with iPhone and iPad, biometrics are a shortcut and not a replacement for the password.

There are no back doors.

Unlocking locked notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.