Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"An unknown error occurred (32)."

I encountered the above error when trying to restore my iPhone, and searching the Community here yielded a number of posts about error 32 coming up, and the ones I reviewed either ending unresolved or with an answer linking to the iOS update and restore errors page, which doesn't actually list error 32. I'm posting this as an additional troubleshooting step because it worked for me when all other suggested steps did not, and because the posts I found about error 32 are no longer open for comments.

The error 32 may be caused by a malfunctioning USB port or ports. I tried plugging my iPhone directly into all four USB ports in sequence, and none of them allowed the iPhone to appear in the Finder unless I put the iPhone into DFU mode. I tried plugging it into a four-port hub connected to my iMac, which caused the iPhone to appear in the Finder. So there was an issue with the USB ports on the iMac. After resetting the SMC, I plugged the iPhone directly into one of the iMac's USB ports and it finally appeared in the Finder without requiring DFU mode. Restoring and updating then worked.

Long story short: error 32 may appear when the USB ports on your computer aren't working correctly, so resetting the SMC may fix the issue.

iPhone 6s Plus

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 8:39 PM

Suggestion don’t use a USB port hub devices , connect the iPhone directly to the Mac USB ports , I am sure that your issues is the lighting usb cable isn’t original , generics Lightning cables cause a lot of issues you think the iPhone is connected but isn’t, I had that experience before and the solution was buying a OEM apple lighting cable

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2022 8:39 PM in response to yapishkahilt

Suggestion don’t use a USB port hub devices , connect the iPhone directly to the Mac USB ports , I am sure that your issues is the lighting usb cable isn’t original , generics Lightning cables cause a lot of issues you think the iPhone is connected but isn’t, I had that experience before and the solution was buying a OEM apple lighting cable

Jan 10, 2022 3:56 PM in response to Ozzie1910

My post was to try to potentially help others who encounter error 32 because I found a solution that I hadn't seen anywhere else.

After resetting the SMC, I plugged the iPhone directly into one of the iMac's USB ports and it finally appeared in the Finder without requiring DFU mode. Restoring and updating then worked.

I used an Apple-branded cord and agree that third-party cords are the source of a lot of restoring and updating issues.

"An unknown error occurred (32)."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.