Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Standard Account MacOS privileges

Can a standard account update the MacOS? If they can, is there a way to disable that privilege to install updates? (I want to keep the Mac on the current OS and I don't want allow the standard user to install any updates).

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 10, 2022 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2022 6:30 AM

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

• Standard: Standard users are set up by an administrator. Standard users can install apps and change their own settings, but can’t add other users or change other users’ settings.

Do not see specific mention of Upgrade OS. But, from my experience, Only the Admin Account can be used to upGrade the OS to something newer.

An administrator can add and manage other users, install apps, and change settings. The new user you create when you first set up your Mac is an administrator.

Your Mac can have multiple administrators. You can create new ones, and convert standard users to administrators.

Don’t set up automatic login for an administrator. If you do, someone could simply restart your Mac and gain access with administrator privileges. To keep your Mac secure, don’t share administrator names and passwords.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2022 6:30 AM in response to fellipedelima

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

• Standard: Standard users are set up by an administrator. Standard users can install apps and change their own settings, but can’t add other users or change other users’ settings.

Do not see specific mention of Upgrade OS. But, from my experience, Only the Admin Account can be used to upGrade the OS to something newer.

An administrator can add and manage other users, install apps, and change settings. The new user you create when you first set up your Mac is an administrator.

Your Mac can have multiple administrators. You can create new ones, and convert standard users to administrators.

Don’t set up automatic login for an administrator. If you do, someone could simply restart your Mac and gain access with administrator privileges. To keep your Mac secure, don’t share administrator names and passwords.

Standard Account MacOS privileges

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.