Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Store / Music crashes Mac OS Monterey 12.1 and Mac Mini M1.

Hello,

since I upgraded to MacOS 12.1 I have massive problems with Music, especially when using the iTunes Store. When I launch Music and go to the iTunes Music Store, after a short time my Magic Mouse 1 and my Magic Keyboard 1 start to disconnect. Then several pop-ups appear asking for my password for several system services. Inbetween my mouse and keyboard connect and disconnect. Finally the Mac shuts down. This is really annoying!

Since I installed 12.0 a while ago, my mouse and keyboard don't react when I start my Mac. They need quite a while, the cursor always sitting in the upper left corner. After a while mouse and keyboard connect to the MacMini and then I can beginn to type the password of my account. Since 12.1 the problem remains plus the iTunes Music Store bug is on top.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 10, 2022 8:04 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 11, 2022 8:04 AM in response to Cupertino_we_have_a_problem

Hello Cupertino_we_have_a_problem, 

Apple Support Communities is a wonderful place for help with the Mac unexpected powering off, along with the mouse and keyboard disconnecting. Starting with the Mac powering off, does it automatically power back on? If so, try the steps outlined in the following article. 

If your Mac restarted because of a problem

With the keyboard and mouse disconnecting, are they only becoming unresponsive, or do you notice a message appear on the Mac indicating the mouse and keyboard have connected to your Mac? If the mouse and keyboard are disconnecting, and you’re using an Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse, try the steps outlined in the following article. 

If you can’t connect your Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, or Magic Trackpad to your Mac

While the article references a different issue, these steps can still be helpful in reaching a resolution. 

Let us know how that goes!

Jan 11, 2022 12:51 PM in response to Cupertino_we_have_a_problem

We appreciate those additional details, Cupertino_we_have_a_problem.

To confirm, does the Mac become unresponsive when the prompt to enter the Keychain password appears? If so, are you able to enter the Keychain password or is that when the keyboard becomes unresponsive? If the keyboard becomes unresponsive at that time, have you tested this issue in a new admin user account on the Mac? If not, try creating a test admin user account to see if the same issue persists. You can find the steps for creating a user account in the following article. 

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Notate the results, and then reach out to Apple. They’ll be able to take a look in to this issue further. Their contact options and information can be found via the Get Support website. 

Take care!

Jan 12, 2022 6:11 AM in response to Cupertino_we_have_a_problem

Thank you for providing those additional details Cupertino_we_have_a_problem. 

We want to ensure every step is taken to reach a resolution. If you haven’t already, testing to see if the issue persists in a new admin user account, and reaching out to Apple with the results is the right next step. For reference, the articles previously linked are included below for creating a test admin user account, and locating Apple's contact information.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Get Support

We hope you have a great rest of your week!

Jan 11, 2022 11:35 AM in response to Cupertino_we_have_a_problem

Hello SnickZ., thank you for your reply!

I've tried many of the proposed solutions before, but it didn't help.

I started iTunes/Music again clicked into 4 albums in the iTunes Music Store and then the problems started. I took a look at the pop-up windows. The mouse and keyboard disconnect and reconnect all the time, apps in the menubar appear and disappear, the window freezes and then it's possible again to move the mouse for a short moment.

The Pop-Ups appear and disappear and appear again. The pop-up windows show the following messages. (They're in German, so I try to translate them):

Window 1: "CommCenter wants to use the keychain for "Login". Please enter your password for keychain."

Window 2: "callservicesd wants to use the keychain for "Login". Please enter your password for keychain."

Window 3: "iCloud Drive may not function correctly. Check the system configuration "iCloud". The communication with a helper app failed." There's a button: "Open Apple-ID settings." (Note from me: iCloud Drive is not activated).

Window 4: "sharingd wants to use the keychain for "Login". Please enter your password for keychain."

Then Window 1 reappears. I can't push anything on Window 3.

The comes Windows 5: "CallHistoryPluginHelper wants to use the keychain for "Login". Please enter your password for keychain."

Window 1 reappears plus Window 6: "Transparent network proxy for Apple system services wants to use the keychain for "Login". Please enter your password for keychain."

Then comes the message: "This Mac can't be connected to iMessage as there's a problem with your Apple-ID. Open the settings of your Apple-ID to solve the problem.

I finally unplugged my Mac Mini and restarted it. I only have the problems with Music and the iTunes store and they came with the update of MacOS 12.1

I read somewhere that Apple is working on a big change of the iTunes Store and Music and that the app will work much faster in the future. Maybe there's a problem with that?

Thank you for your help!

Jan 12, 2022 4:57 AM in response to Jeff_W.

Hello Jeff_W. thank you very much!

The Mac starts to become unresponsive after I click into different albums (about 4 to 5) and click a few songs. First the iTunes Store starts to respond slower and slower. Then the Mac starts freezing and after some seconds the different pop-ups appear and finally the moused keyboard start connecting and disconnecting all the time with the relating message windows mouse/keyboard connected/disconnected.

A Window from the third party app "BetterTouch Tool" also appeared now. I use the app to speed up my mouse cursor. A deinstall and restart didn't help, so it's not because of this app. The interesting thing is that sometimes all those pop-ups appear when the Mac is unresponsive, but sometimes the Mac restarts directly without becoming unresponsive. The window goes black and instantly the login window appears.

As I can use the Music app except the iTunes Store, I'll wait and see if there's a fix with 12.2. I suspect, that the problem comes with the major changes of the iTunes store that Apple is working on at the moment, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thank you very much to both f you for taking your time trying to help me! I'll post an update once the problem is finally solved.

Jan 12, 2022 9:31 AM in response to ryane77

Thank you ryane77!

I created a second Admin account and it seems, the problem with the iTunes Store doesn't exist there. I returned to my old account and it took much longer to crash my Mac this time, but the problem is still there (in the old account, not in the new).

What should I do with the new account? I have so much settings in the old Admin account, that it wouldn't be a good idea to delete it, as it would be to much work to reinstall everything and get all the settings back, especially in all the third party apps from Adobe etc.

iTunes Store / Music crashes Mac OS Monterey 12.1 and Mac Mini M1.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.