Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder not looking in all folders

Received my new Mac end of November and the search function in folders is not working correctly. I did a quick video to explain the issue

https://www.loom.com/share/4ddfb8a04ead40e3b5d61cac750877f4

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 10, 2022 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2022 1:24 PM

I haven't watched the entire video yet, but I had one insight.

You say you are looking for files in your Downloads folder.

Finder search finds nothing, but 'This Mac' finds the file.

The problem is that the file you find IS NOT in your Downloads folder. It is in ANOTHER folder on your disk that happens to be called 'Downloads', but is deeply embedded in your Dropbox folder.

You can see this by looking at the path bar at the bottom of the search window:

So it isn't as much that the Finder won't find things. It's (at least in part) that you're asking it to look in the wrong location.

Now, part of this may be Dropbox's fault - it does a number of things to sync/balance data between your local machine and their cloud storage, often masking file's true location. IN short, you might *think* you're looking in your Downloads folder when you're really looking somewhere else.

There may be other gotchas in the video that I haven't got to yet, but I wanted to call out this one since it may be the root of the problem.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2022 1:24 PM in response to donnamos

I haven't watched the entire video yet, but I had one insight.

You say you are looking for files in your Downloads folder.

Finder search finds nothing, but 'This Mac' finds the file.

The problem is that the file you find IS NOT in your Downloads folder. It is in ANOTHER folder on your disk that happens to be called 'Downloads', but is deeply embedded in your Dropbox folder.

You can see this by looking at the path bar at the bottom of the search window:

So it isn't as much that the Finder won't find things. It's (at least in part) that you're asking it to look in the wrong location.

Now, part of this may be Dropbox's fault - it does a number of things to sync/balance data between your local machine and their cloud storage, often masking file's true location. IN short, you might *think* you're looking in your Downloads folder when you're really looking somewhere else.

There may be other gotchas in the video that I haven't got to yet, but I wanted to call out this one since it may be the root of the problem.

Jan 10, 2022 1:36 PM in response to donnamos

Hi donnamos,

Thanks for posting the video!

At 0:47, it looks like the example files shown are actually stored in Users -> donnaamos -> Dropbox (Solopreneurs LLC) -> Mac -> Downloads.

In contrast, your real Downloads folder (not the one synced with Dropbox) is located at Users -> donnaaomos -> Downloads. It doesn't appear to be visible in the Finder sidebar, but you can re-add it by opening Finder, going to the top of the screen, and selecting Finder -> Preferences -> Sidebar. You can tell it apart from other folders named "Downloads" in the sidebar by its distinctive icon: a down arrow inside a circle.

Also, where is the Downloads folder shown in the sidebar (in the video) actually located? To find out, right-click (or hold down Control as you click) on the folder, and select Get Info. Check the Where field.

EDIT: Looks like Camelot beat me to it :)

Finder not looking in all folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.