Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password for Apple ID only works in some places.

I recently changed the password for my Apple ID. I changed the password because of this problem.

When I try and login to the forums for example (Safari running Monterey), I get a prompt asking if I want to sign in to idmsa.apple.com with my Apple ID. I click 'Continue with password' using my new password which always fails (using copy/paste, but also failed when I manually typed the password).

If I click 'Use a different Apple ID' and manually enter my Apple ID and password I'm able to login. That's how I logged in here.

I'm having the same login trouble on another Mac I've don't a factory reset on where I'm prompted for my Apple ID during the setup (Mac running Catalina).

I'm wondering if something hasn't synced, but otherwise don't know why this is happening.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 10, 2022 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 11:30 AM

Hello snarky_dingo,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about that difficulty with signing into your Apple ID via Safari.

To verify, is Safari initially prompting you for your Apple ID password, or the password for the user account on your Mac?

If you are being prompted to provide the password for your Mac user account, you’ll need to provide that password in order for Safari to access your saved Apple ID password.

Hopefully that addresses your inquiry.

Take care.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2022 11:30 AM in response to snarky_dingo

Hello snarky_dingo,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about that difficulty with signing into your Apple ID via Safari.

To verify, is Safari initially prompting you for your Apple ID password, or the password for the user account on your Mac?

If you are being prompted to provide the password for your Mac user account, you’ll need to provide that password in order for Safari to access your saved Apple ID password.

Hopefully that addresses your inquiry.

Take care.

Password for Apple ID only works in some places.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.