Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does the Ipad need a sim card to work?

My best friend gave me her old ipad and Im not sure how to program it....does it need a Sim card to work? I noticed in the top left hand corner it says no sim card

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 4:55 AM

All models of iPad have a WiFi connection - this being used to connect any suitable WiFi network.

WiFi+Cellular models of iPad also have a slot for a SIM card. Cellular does not need to activated, or require a SIM card to be installed, unless a Cellular connection is needed. The SIM provides additional flexibility in being able to use Cellular networks where WiFi networks are not available.

The No SIM indication is merely informational to indicate that a SIM is not installed - and therefore that Cellular connection is not available.

Ne aware that your Cellular iPad also benefits from having GPS positioning capabilities. This feature is not available on WiFi Only models of iPad.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2022 4:55 AM in response to Walrusenna123

All models of iPad have a WiFi connection - this being used to connect any suitable WiFi network.

WiFi+Cellular models of iPad also have a slot for a SIM card. Cellular does not need to activated, or require a SIM card to be installed, unless a Cellular connection is needed. The SIM provides additional flexibility in being able to use Cellular networks where WiFi networks are not available.

The No SIM indication is merely informational to indicate that a SIM is not installed - and therefore that Cellular connection is not available.

Ne aware that your Cellular iPad also benefits from having GPS positioning capabilities. This feature is not available on WiFi Only models of iPad.

does the Ipad need a sim card to work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.