Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i update the software from OS x 10.9.5 on my macbook pro?

How do I update the software on my macbook pro from OS X 10.9.5?

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 8:23 AM

Back up your data, check your applications for compatibility, and depending on which MacBook Pro model you have, click on El Capitan, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, or Monterey.

Catalina and newer won't run 32-bit software; download and use Go64 to scan for it. To check other programs, click here and look them up.

(211826)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2022 8:23 AM in response to berniejohn21

Back up your data, check your applications for compatibility, and depending on which MacBook Pro model you have, click on El Capitan, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, or Monterey.

Catalina and newer won't run 32-bit software; download and use Go64 to scan for it. To check other programs, click here and look them up.

(211826)

Jan 11, 2022 9:01 AM in response to berniejohn21

As Niel said, if you value the data on the Mac, back up with Time Machine first just in case:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT210222

Also as Niel said, 32 bit apps do not work in Catalina/Big Sur/Monterey, so if you're upgrading to the latest macOS your Hardware Supports (Catalina) some older apps may not function after you update or purchase newer versions of that software (Example Microsoft Office 2011 = dead in Catalina, requiring 2016 Office or Higher to function on macOS)

Your MacBookPro 13-inch Mid 2012 maxes out on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 per:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT210222

"macOS Catalina is compatible with these computers"

• MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

You'll need to load this below website with Safari, and Click on the Catalina Link to make it load in the App Store (some links open in Safari, and will merely download the Installer to your downloads folder for you to run it there):

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT211683

If you are not logged into the App Store (assuming that's how Catalina Loads for you) you may need to log in with a "Decorated Password" if your Apple ID has 2FA Authentication (6 digit authentication codes).

TL-DR;

1. Log in once with valid password
  2. It will send a 6 digit code to your other device(s).
  3. Without closing the App store password prompt, put your password again followed by the digit digit codes

Example: ExamplePassword123 Example 2FA Code: 555444 Decorated Password = ExamplePassword123555444

how do i update the software from OS x 10.9.5 on my macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.