Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when will ios fix the email creation software?

My Email does not set up correctly?

I created my email for both my Yahoo mail account and my ATT mail account on my Apple iPhone 12 (iOS 15.1) using the Apple creation process provided by Apple & iOS 15.1 and selecting the Yahoo option. In both creations, the Outgoing SMTP server of Yahoo! was the only server showing up. There was no incoming server. 

It is my understanding that when creating these email accounts I should have for my Yahoo account settings:

imap.mail.yahoo.com(993 Requires SSL - Yes)

smtp.mail.yahoo.com (587 or 465)

and for AT&T account settings:

imap.mail.att.net(993 Requires SSL - Yes)

smtp.mail.att.net (587 or 465)

I also have a separate secure email key for each one.

Since neither created with the correct input and output servers, I deleted both email accounts and created them using the “Other” option and manually entered all the required settings including Name, Email, Description, Host name, User name, secure password, Outgoing Mail Server, etc. Everything’s set up per your Yahoo website instructions.

I also have a stable AT&T WiFi network.

I periodically receive an error message that shows ‘Cannot Get Mail. The mail server “imap.mail.yahoo.com” is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account information in Mail settings.  OK.”

Everything is fine with my Mail settings. I have tried all of the recommended fixes. I still get this error message a dozen or more times a day. When I go back to my email after a couple of minutes it will then work ok. I have reset my internet connection and reset my network settings on my iPhone, deleted my email account and re-added it numerous times. I have turned my iPhone off and back on numerous times. This has been occurring since I updated to iOS 14.8 and still happening in 15.2.

Yahoo and AT&T say to contact Apple.

After an Apple representative linked to my iPhone 12 and reviewed everything they said that it appears to be an iOS problem.

Please help! This is maddening!

Thanks.

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 11:52 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jan 11, 2022 3:28 PM in response to SehlMan

SehlMan wrote:
After an Apple representative linked to my iPhone 12 and reviewed everything they said that it appears to be an iOS problem.
Please help! This is maddening!

You seem to have gotten your official answer, directly from Apple.

On macOS, the equivalent message to this one: Cannot Get Mail. The mail server “imap.mail.yahoo.com” is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account information in Mail settings. can also mean that your local network or your ISP network is unstable.

Time Warner Cable Roadrunner was triggering that error routinely for one Mac site I’ve worked with. Ping times and traceroutes through the ISP network showed all sorts of issues; the ISP had one-second and longer delays arising at some of their IP routers. Which is Very Not Good.

Try connecting from a different network and different location, and see if the problem arises else-network. This’ll tend to point to either the iPhone, or to the network as the source of the issue here.

If it’s not your local Wi-Fi or wired network that’s unstable, and if this works connected elsewhere, check with your ISP. You’ll probably need to use some tools such as traceroute here, as the ISP may just enqueue your request dor assistance into the ”needs help with mail” queue.

Jan 11, 2022 3:46 PM in response to SehlMan

SehlMan wrote:

iOS (Apple iPhone) is the only connection I have a problem with. If I login to Yahoo or AT&T to check email all works good.

Web mail access worked fine? That matched what was seen while chasing transient network routing issues in the ISP network.

Worked fine mostly, then pops that error.

The “fun” variation of this is the ”would you like to try a different password?”, and that really messed up things if the user decided to try different passwords.

And I can easily see an unstable Wi-Fi causing similar errors.

Try a connection from elsewhere; from a different network entirely. That’ll hopefully isolate this to an iPhone issue, or an ISP issue.

when will ios fix the email creation software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.