Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook switches off every time when in sleep mode

Hi, Apple Community!

I've been using my MacBook for more than half a year by now without any issues. But a couple of month back (potentially right after an update to Monterey OS) this started to happen:

Whenever my MacBook enters sleeping mode, it switches off completely. This means:

• It's not waking up as usual after sleeping mode
  • It takes a long time for the Mac Book to switch back on
  • To switch it on I need to hold the "Power" button for several seconds. Then the Apple logo appears and the OS loading begins with a load bar visible below the Apple logo

This happens regardless of the battery level and whether the MacBook works from a battery or from a Power adapter.

Sometimes after those restarts I get the "Your computer was restarted because of a problem" messages on switching back on.

Not sure if that's related, but I also started to have problems with the bluetooth connection of my headphones. From time to time they randomly disconnect from MacBook and instantly automatically connect back again. This was not the case in the beginning. This is also not the case when connecting same headphones to other devices.

To mitigate the issue I have to switch my MacBook on and off every time I need to leave it for more than 30 minutes (before the display goes dark). This type of restart would still be faster than in case my MacBook switches off silently when entering the sleeping mode.

Fast sleeping/waking up cycle is one of the most powerful MacOS feature. It's quite painful to live without it. Is there anything you could recommend me to do to fix this issue?

Thanks a lot,

Oleg.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 10:54 PM

lllaass,

I have to admit that after writing the previous message I tried to reset the SMC and NVRAM once again several times in a row following various articles in the web I was able to find.

Eventually this seems to have worked for me now, though I definitely tried that before and it didn't.

This is the SMC reset instruction I followed (I've ran through both cases: with T2 chip and without).

Here is the NVRAM instruction I followed.

I will keep you posted if this solution does not last for a long time.

Best,

Oleg.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2022 10:54 PM in response to lllaass

lllaass,

I have to admit that after writing the previous message I tried to reset the SMC and NVRAM once again several times in a row following various articles in the web I was able to find.

Eventually this seems to have worked for me now, though I definitely tried that before and it didn't.

This is the SMC reset instruction I followed (I've ran through both cases: with T2 chip and without).

Here is the NVRAM instruction I followed.

I will keep you posted if this solution does not last for a long time.

Best,

Oleg.

Jan 11, 2022 1:41 PM in response to lllaass

lllaass,

Thanks for your response!

Just triggered this faulty restart described above. I can not find any information in Console App under the tabs you've mentioned. There is nothing related to the restart.

When MacBook is switched on, I get this: Your computer was restarted because of a problem.

And below are the problem details:

And this is from the Log Reports from the Console App:

Jan 11, 2022 12:45 PM in response to ratnoleg

When you startup after the unintended shutdown, is there a message that say your computer restarted because of a problem or similar wards?

If you open the Console app and look under Crash and Diagnostic reports do you see anything at the time of the unintended shutdown? If so post them. You will likely need to use the Additional Text box since they might exceed the character limit for the normal reply box. To get the Additional Text box to appear click on its icon

Jan 11, 2022 1:55 PM in response to ratnoleg

Download and run this app so we can find more information about your installation.

https://etrecheck.com/upgrade

It shows what is launched and other information and is very useful in finding causes of problems. After you first launch the app make sure you check Enable full disk access in the box in lower left.

After running the app use the app's feature to paste to clipboard. The in the text box for a reply in this forum click on the addition text icon. This is because the normal reply text box limits how much you can type.

No personal identifiable information is contained if the app output. The app was written for a person who is contributor to these Apple Support Communities

Jan 11, 2022 1:53 PM in response to ratnoleg

After reading about this in the web, I need to mentioned that I've tried the SMC and NVRAM resetting.

And I did not replace any hardware (like, HDD to SDD) on my Mac. People were mentioning this as a potential reason for the issue. I have unpacked it brand new only 07.2021 and didn't do anything with the hardware.

I also do not think the command below is a good option. It's acceptable, but I'd rather find the root cause than implement this fix, since it disables deep sleep and the battery is draining much faster because of that when in sleeping mode:

sudo pmset -a standby 0

MacBook switches off every time when in sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.